Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Leaking Land Rover Help With PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bschoole
Where be this full seal kit you speak of?

RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

Its listed about 1/2 way down the page. Each kit does one side but like mentioned earlier check the ball for scratches and pits. And like spike said you better get some oil or grease in it if its your daily driver.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

LAND ROVER PARTS - SWIVEL BALL SEAL KIT DEFENDER 90 & DISCOVERY

CV Joint & Swivel Ball Reseal Kit for Discovery I, Steering & Suspension Parts

Part number STC3321P @ Best prices on Land Rover & Range Rover parts and Accessories

Land Range Rover Discovery Factory Genuine OEM Swivel Ball Housing Seal Kit

RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

There are lots of different places that sell parts, and no one seems to have the lowest parts prices on EVERYTHING. I usually just build a cart at each, and see who is overall the best for that days order.

Also, there are lots of places that sell the kits with a cv-joint in case it's been ran dry too long. I won't lie, on my D1, one of the joints was noisy, and it was BONE dry. I filled it with oil, and it got quiet again.

Last edited by jafir; 03-25-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking Glad you Liked it.

Originally Posted by bschoole
Danny Lee, there is no like button for your post Otherwise it would have been liked

Thanks everyone, I am reading the Rave, there is just soooo much there!!!

I have heard a couple of places for ordering rover parts (roverparts i think was one of them) Which one do you find best? Is there any local stores that are decent, we have napa, carquest, autovalue, advanced auto where i live.

I am glad to hear you liked it. SOOO many others have taken great offense from my postings at times in the past. I am just an older Southern Redneck from a long line of moonshine runners and various other Good Ole Boys that grew up in those golden days of the 1950's thru the 70's making anything with wheels still on it run as far and as fast as we could possibly get it to go. I am often blunt with my words and "I calls it like I sees it".

I am a big fan of Jeff Foxworthy and his RedNeck Commedy Crew of Larry The Cable Guy, Ron White and Bill "Here's Your Sign" Enval (?). I tend to speak in Deep Southern RedNeck and just can't help but say something even if it might be a little distateful at times to some.

As far as Good Rover Suppliers, I subscribe to the theory of supporting those who put forthe the best effort to support us owners of older Land Rovers. For new parts, my first choice is Rovers North due to their long term dedication to supporting groups like us. They recently found out that Land Rover USA was pulling the plug on supporting the older Rovers including the DI. LR had started destroying their entire remaining inventory of parts as they were no longe going to stock them. When the owners of Rovers North heard about this, they immediately contact LR and made arrangments to procure all the remaining existing inventory before it was destroyed and set about to add it to their inventory as these parts were no longer being manufactured. They also set up sources for their own line (Proline) which I use quite often, these are high quality replacement parts at a good price. I have not had any problems with anything I have purchased from them including brake pad and rotor sets, new calipers, and various other parts. Their illustrated parts breakdowns are great for understanding and showing all the little parts involved in all the assemblies. I have been able to buy exactly what I need to replace and get exact fit parts as well as the correct replacement bolts and similar hardware that I always try to get to make reppairs easier on such an older vehicle. Their staff all drive a variety of the same vehicles we own and they are extremely knowledgeable and are terrific sources of information as well.

For used stuff I check with Will Tillery first. He usually has what I need and gives me a good price that includes shipping with no bs add-ons. Not even sales tax.

I placed my first order yesterday with Trevor at RovahFarms for the grease packs for the front sviwels ***** and stuff like the crush washers at the oil and tranny drains. He has attractive prices as well, so I will be adding him to my trusted source list.

I have also ordered from AB. They do run a lot of specials and have a quick turnaround as well.

I usually avoid the local Auto Big Box type places for my Discovery, however Spike and a few others can tell you about some good deals you can get from certain ones.

Good Luck with your Discovery. It can be a source of extreme pleasure as well as extreme frustration.

I like to tell owners of "New" Discoveries to teat them like you would some woman you just meet at closing time at one of those honkey tonk bars.
Get to know her real good before you put much into her. Look her over front to back, top to bottom, inside and out. Take a good light and even a camera and crawl around under her bottom especially. Explore every nook and cranny. Probe all the holes and see what you find. See what kind of nasty stuff may be leaking down there. Take a deep whiff and see if it smells bad. Of course be careful, don't get nothing in your eyes or mouth. It could be real bad, you don't want to go blind.

Then get some good strong spray and clean her up good. Oil it up real good and ride it as hard as you can and see what comes apart on you.

After that, you can take her out dancing and see how good see performs.

"Drive it like you stole it" "Just Don't Flip Your Rover Over"

Most of all have fun.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-28-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROFL NICE STORY DANNY AMEN GIT R DONE now about the swivel ball what gease does it take GIT R DONE

Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Well, Today I am expecting to receive the first order from Trevor at Rovah Farms.

I went ahead and did an online order that was primarily 2 grease packs for the front swivel ***** to see if that resolves the leak I developed at my passenger side ball. Waiting for delivery.

I do have a question for those of you who are knowledge filled concerning the front axle. I did locate the vent line. I loosened the bolt to see if that was clogged. It did not appear to be, so I just cleaned up around it and put it back together. Would it be a good idea to blow the line down with compressed shop air or not? Just wanted to ask as I know very little about this front axle other than what I have read and so forth.

I will let you guys know what I think abvout Trevors grease packs after I put them in.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When checking for a clogged axle breather, whether its front or rear, remove it completely and take apart the part that screws into the axle, see if its really rusted.
Then just blow through the hose with your mouth, if there is resistance replace it, ice maker water line from the hardware is the same diameter, just buy a roll and cut off what you need.
Depending on how rusted up your breather is you can clean it up.
99% of the time that is what clogs, the actual breather not the line.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heya,

Since you've got the camera out, would you mind taking a picture of how your brush guard attaches to the frame?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 PM

Spike, It was getting late, so I just unbolted it and made sure it was pretty clean, did not want to pull it out all the way then. So I could cut off the old line if necessary and just replace it with the ice maker tubing?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 PM

My brush guard is laying beside my driveway, I can take some pics of it and the front bumper mount is right under the front end. I can take some pics of it as soon as I wrestle the truck away from my oldest son. Don't hold your breath though.