Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Leaky oil-cooler line.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hh65flyer
OK, did the ghetto-repair on the oil cooler line and guess what...it works! Cost was $10.56 (I splurged and bought new hose-clamps @ $2.99).

You won't believe this though...now the other one is leaking.

I think this one actually may have been the culprit to begin with. Oh well, at least I know what to do now.

Here are some photos of my handi-work:
Very nice job.
Now can you give us some more insight?
What size hose?
How many feet?
Coolant hose or what?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
Wonder who started that one... **me** I did that last week and went to school the next day (cold oil tends to not drip as much) well when the Rover warmed up and I pulled into the parking lot my Disco was dripping so much that the principal called my name over the intercom so I would go to the office... I am a good kid and was shocked that I was called to the office... When I went in there, he said "uhh you better go check your car oil, I believe its leaked out... I laughed and said well you know why the British don't build tvs? They can't figure a way to make them leak oil" He was speechless..... I politely said thank you and returned to class.
HAHA! You drive a disco to high school as well? I don't think my principal would call me into the office for that. In fact, first time I drove it to school after I bought it, he sent me an e-mail about how it was the wrong color and how it had an Iowa State decal on the rear window instead of a Iowa Hawkeye one. I just replied and said that you don't put Iowa Hawkeye decals on a red car.

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (10-12-2017)
Old 12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's refreshing to know there are principals out there that care enough to know what their students drive. I went to a fairly large HS and there's no way anyone knew what you drove unless it was for some really bad reason...

Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Info as requested Spike:

Hose: Weatherhead 1/2" (12.7 mm) H10108 350 PSI (2.41 Mpa).
Length: 18" (per hose).

Obviously overkill on the pressure but better than heater hose, etc. Here's what I found regarding the construction and specifics of the hose itself:

H101 GENERAL PURPOSE HOSE
  • Rubber Cover
  • Applications include low pressure air, fuel, oil, water and diesel fuel lines.
  • Gasohol or diesohol fuel containing more than 10% alcohol may reduce hose life.
  • MSHA accepted.
  • Temperature Range: -40° to 212° F.
  • Hose Construction:
    • Inner Tube: Nitrile
    • Reinforcement: 1 fiber braid
    • Cover: Neoprene
  • Hose Inside Diameter: 1/2
  • Hose Outside Diameter: 3/4
  • Maximum Working Pressure: 350 psi
  • Minimum Burst Pressure: 1,400 psi
  • Minimum Bend Radius: 5"

Last edited by hh65flyer; 12-14-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hh65flyer
I think it's refreshing to know there are principals out there that care enough to know what their students drive. I went to a fairly large HS and there's no way anyone knew what you drove unless it was for some really bad reason...
My HS is very small (less than 50 kids per grade.) I know EXACTLY who drives what car and everyone knows that I drive a rover.

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (10-12-2017)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Replaced my other oil-cooler line today. It was quite a bit more messy as it connects to the lower end of the rad so about a half of a QT went everywhere, caught most of it with the pan.

The only problem now is you can't fit the nice solid line seperator between the two lines on the lower end because the tubing now covers the area where the clamp goes. Just an update for anyone else deciding to tackle this in this manner. I'll try to post a pic later.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much pressure is there on the oil cooler line? The down side is that if you do have a sudden leak, you lose your oil in a hurry.

Atancreti: Sounds like you went overboard with applying the old oil.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO it would be the same PSI as seen by the oil light switch:

from the RAVE:

Oil drawn through the centrally located steel gauze strainer in the sump, is pumped under pressure through oil cooler located in the lower half of the main coolant radiator. The cooled oil then passes through the filter, before being distributed from the main gallery via drillings, to the various components in the engine.

So yep, back that line off the radiator and you should get 30 - 50 psi of oil. The only question is does the Royal Purple taste like Jim Jones Koolaid?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like his hose selection is fine, but I would be somewhat concerned even with the double clamps as to whether that style clamp can stand up to 50 psi. I would check on them closely for a while. But if it does pop a leak, at least you got the idiot light to warn you, that and the sudden clatter of valves, followed by a knocking engine noise..........

But at least you did save some money doing it that way.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-15-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Rock Crawling

It's only been a few drives but so far, dry as a bone. I will be checking them often. I'm also going to fashion some way of keeping them seperated so they don't rub each other, especially since I had to remove the factory seperator. Also want to make sure they stay far away from the exhaust manifold too.

I think for added security one could probably barb or flare the ends slightly with the proper flaring tool (which I do not have unfortunately).

Quick Reply: Leaky oil-cooler line.