Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Leaky oil-cooler line.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Keep in mind that you could bypass the oil cooler, D2s after a certain VIN no longer have them, most Detroit iron does not have them, etc. I'd be concerned about that line popping off, if on the freeway I hope Spike is not behind you.....

Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Keep in mind that you could bypass the oil cooler, D2s after a certain VIN no longer have them, most Detroit iron does not have them, etc. I'd be concerned about that line popping off, if on the freeway I hope Spike is not behind you.....

That sounds like a lot safer option than risking dumping all your engine oil in the event of it suddenly coming loose. I haven't really looked at it, but are you suggesting capping those ports with a plug of some sort?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your repair will work just fine if done correctly. I've seen this done in the past with much success. Most guys use fuel injection hose and two fuel injection hose clamps on each end. For added safety a lot of them double flared the end of the tube to help keep the hose in place. Fuel injection hose and clamps will handle a ton of pressure. I think if it were mine I'd just change out the clamps and call it good.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

No, you would not plug it, this is the path the oil takes from pump to engine via filter, so it needs to be complete. Some sort of flaring, etc, as opposed to a smooth sanded down pipe cut, and like the contrators do, shake the plumbing. If you can pull it loose, 40 - 50 PSI and vibration will be able to do it also.

Another way to put it - would you fly over open water with it????

Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to see if I can locate some FI clamps. S10 do you think they still need to be doubled up on each end or will a single work? Not worried about the expense just the amount of tubing that would be required for them to get a good 'bite' on.

Over-water, probably no but over snow...no problem! Man this thing is awesome in the snow! :-)

Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd double them just to be on the safe side unless you flare the line then one per connection should be fine. They aren't to pricey and they clamp much better than standard worm clamps. Make sure you get the exact size you need though because each clamp only fits one particular size of line. I wanna say AutoZone sells them in packs of 4 for around 7 bucks.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

The rule is if the hard line isn't flared and is straight, use two clamps. Reduces the chance of the soft line coming free.

If you're an aware driver who will notice the oil light coming on, then this repair isn't too bad. I wouldn't let someone drive it who isn't attentive - if on the off chance the line comes loose and the light isn't noticed, then you likely know the rest.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Horsepower TV had another episode on this morning that I caught part of. They push Russell Automotive products and did a great job coverin that as they are building an open tube frame off-road rock-crawler mud buggy with added oil, tranny and relocated radiator mods.

They were talking about all sorts of good additions and what to use. They got some excellent products but are a bit pricey.

I have had some irritating leak issues with replaced fuel lines/filter / fuel pump connections and even the fuel injection rated hoses have developed splits and clamps have leaked. Plus since that is 5/16 diameter tubing, some of the places just do not carry fuel injection clamps in that diameter (Pep Boys for one) while Advanced Auto was out of that size but AutoZone had some that claim to fit. Bottom line is a lot of the cheaper off shore made clamps are not that good either.

Flaring and double clamping helps as it gives a better clamping than just a smooth tube does.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw that one too (Extreme 4x4). The pieces he made for the return on the power steering is very similar to what the Napa guys could do for me at $20 a side ($40 per hose).

I'm still looking for the correct FI hose clamps. We don't have Autozone or Pep Boys here.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM

You're right It was Extreme 4 by 4. I would love to get them to redo mine.

What size is the hose? Let me know what you need and I can pick it up for you and put it in the mail if you need me to. Or try to order online if you prefer. I am surrounded by places like NAPA, Advanced, AutoZone PepBoys and the like. I just despise the lack of quality most of them sell junk.

I do like the idea of putting individual coolers and such on there with some high quality lines and connectors if they were not so damn hard to find. I hate the typical junk on the market these days.

My pics have lots of repetitive pictures of the CDL linkages but I did not find any of the t/c solenoid. It is a bitch to get to. I ended up cutting a hole in side of my tranny tunnel to get to the CDL switch to fix mine. There are pics attached to some of my old cdl threads.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 12-17-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Leaky oil-cooler line.