Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lift kit for sale to make my tires fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The TF lift kits seem to be a very good bang for the buck. If you want the absolute cheapest wit no regard to performance you can get spring spacers. $50 at onlinemetals.com would.probably get you set if you're handy with a drill. Otherwise look in the For Sale sections of the forums.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This was the link to that guide, but it appears to be down.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/jbarge/tires.html

This is a similar guide. DISCOWEB

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Lift has no effect on max tire size fitment, unless your suspension never articulates. When wheels hit the bump stops all that matters is cutting or larger stops.
Yeah that's not entirely true. The problem with running larger tires is the lack of room in the D1 fenders. You could hack the snot out of your fenders, drop your bumpstops to really limit upwards axle travel, and stuff 35's in there. That looks like crap though and limiting your uptravel isn't great either.

On the other hand you could drop 5" lift springs in there and not have to cut your fenders at all for 32' tires. But that's just as dumb as the option above but for different reasons.

The best option is to fit 2" lift springs and do a small and hardly noticable Camel Cut to the rear of the fenders. Also space your bumpstops down a bit so the axle encounters them before the tire encounters the inside of the fender. However, if you keep your swaybars on you probably wont have to worry about that aspect. I've seen 285/75/16's run on 2" springs, but because the sway bars limited articulation he had minimal to no rubbing issues. I, on the other hand, run 265/75/16's with no sway bars. But I run 11.25" travel shocks on my 2" springs, and had to use longer and spaced bumpstops to keep the tire from rubbing the inside of the wheel well and to stop my shocks from bottoming out.

As with everything, there are trade offs.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thread jack since I believe your question has been answered haha

I was wondering if I could get the Land Rover HD Coils and add in Bilstein or OME shocks? Would the ride be much different than if I got all OME or Bilstein? The reason I ask is cost. If I have to get all one or another I can save up and buy it all at once but if the ride won't differ much I don't see why not buy the cheaper coils. And most of the "Heavy Duty" springs and shocks combo will provide about a 2" lift even if they don't specify?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Yeah that's not entirely true. The problem with running larger tires is the lack of room in the D1 fenders. You could hack the snot out of your fenders, drop your bumpstops to really limit upwards axle travel, and stuff 35's in there. That looks like crap though and limiting your uptravel isn't great either.

On the other hand you could drop 5" lift springs in there and not have to cut your fenders at all for 32' tires. But that's just as dumb as the option above but for different reasons.

The best option is to fit 2" lift springs and do a small and hardly noticable Camel Cut to the rear of the fenders. Also space your bumpstops down a bit so the axle encounters them before the tire encounters the inside of the fender. However, if you keep your swaybars on you probably wont have to worry about that aspect. I've seen 285/75/16's run on 2" springs, but because the sway bars limited articulation he had minimal to no rubbing issues. I, on the other hand, run 265/75/16's with no sway bars. But I run 11.25" travel shocks on my 2" springs, and had to use longer and spaced bumpstops to keep the tire from rubbing the inside of the wheel well and to stop my shocks from bottoming out.

As with everything, there are trade offs.

cut it all off and stuff 35's on a 2" lift!!!! Up travel is over rated it's all about droop!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this may sound dumb, but as I also plan to lift my D1 soon, what are the pros/cons to medium vs HD lift kit? I am looking at TF 202 vs TF 204

Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Pro Wrench

I believe most people say Medium is a good choice if you want to do some mild off-roading. But if you ever plan on getting front or rear aftermarket bumpers, roof rack, etc etc you get the picture.. then go for the HD.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by filbs
this may sound dumb, but as I also plan to lift my D1 soon, what are the pros/cons to medium vs HD lift kit? I am looking at TF 202 vs TF 204

Spring rates

Once again call Justin at Lucky 8 he will sell you what you need

Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Thread jack since I believe your question has been answered haha

I was wondering if I could get the Land Rover HD Coils and add in Bilstein or OME shocks? Would the ride be much different than if I got all OME or Bilstein? The reason I ask is cost. If I have to get all one or another I can save up and buy it all at once but if the ride won't differ much I don't see why not buy the cheaper coils. And most of the "Heavy Duty" springs and shocks combo will provide about a 2" lift even if they don't specify?
Rover has always had a bad manufacturer of coils, they don't hold up and they are awfully expensive.
If you want goo coils go to RTE or OME and oder based on your load requirements.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Rover has always had a bad manufacturer of coils, they don't hold up and they are awfully expensive.
If you want goo coils go to RTE or OME and oder based on your load requirements.
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks again Mike!

Quick Reply: Lift kit for sale to make my tires fit?