Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lift kit for sale to make my tires fit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Rover has always had a bad manufacturer of coils, they don't hold up and they are awfully expensive.
If you want goo coils go to RTE or OME and oder based on your load requirements.
Disco Mike - Why dont you like Terrafirma products?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Disco Mike - Why dont you like Terrafirma products?
I guess the failure posts that have been posted....is why.

I've read though posts from folks in the UK and AU. I've found that there are similar posts on OME suspension that people have complained about. I can only assume that since there are more OME suspensions in use there, than in the US. Oddly enough, folks in the UK are starting to use Ironman suspension systems.

In my sports car days, people believed in strictly Eibach or Bilstein. When KW rolled into town, folks gave it an assuming "it's not good enough". Then, when KW started to win races...then...you know. I've had my KW Variant now for 5 years and still a solid kit.

As we know, Terrifirma is a brand of AllMakes. AllMakes has been manufacturing LR parts for years now, which is pretty much quality from what I have used. I know that there have been people that have issues with failed parts, which I hope I don't experience. From first hand experience of both OME and Terrifirma, the TF quality of the finished good is pretty much on par. And from what I have installed and driven for only a week or so....not bad at all.

Only time will tell.....

Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
I guess the failure posts that have been posted....is why.

I've read though posts from folks in the UK and AU. I've found that there are similar posts on OME suspension that people have complained about. I can only assume that since there are more OME suspensions in use there, than in the US. Oddly enough, folks in the UK are starting to use Ironman suspension systems.

In my sports car days, people believed in strictly Eibach or Bilstein. When KW rolled into town, folks gave it an assuming "it's not good enough". Then, when KW started to win races...then...you know. I've had my KW Variant now for 5 years and still a solid kit.

As we know, Terrifirma is a brand of AllMakes. AllMakes has been manufacturing LR parts for years now, which is pretty much quality from what I have used. I know that there have been people that have issues with failed parts, which I hope I don't experience. From first hand experience of both OME and Terrifirma, the TF quality of the finished good is pretty much on par. And from what I have installed and driven for only a week or so....not bad at all.

Only time will tell.....
It all breaks... Do you have links to broken Terrafirma pieces? I am guessing it's just the pins on the pin style shocks? Thats the first problem and I'd blame the design error on LR before Terrafirma. Pin style shocks suck. In the cases of broken OME shocks it's the same thing, broken pins.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It all breaks... Do you have links to broken Terrafirma pieces? I am guessing it's just the pins on the pin style shocks? Thats the first problem and I'd blame the design error on LR before Terrafirma. Pin style shocks suck. In the cases of broken OME shocks it's the same thing, broken pins.
At least one of the TF complaint links on this forum was due to the pin breaking.

However in doing my own shock research, I found a couple of links on DWeb where people asked about converting to all eye hole. A paraphrased response was, "Eye hole welds break too...ask me how I know."

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Like Jake said, everything breaks. You wheel something hard enough and long enough and it will break. I bet there are very few part failures, be it TF or OME, on daily mall crawlers.

And I thought RTE only supplied Heavy Duty coils now?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
At least one of the TF complaint links on this forum was due to the pin breaking.

However in doing my own shock research, I found a couple of links on DWeb where people asked about converting to all eye hole. A paraphrased response was, "Eye hole welds break too...ask me how I know."
On what brand of shock? Guys over there tend to brag about breaking **** but in reality it was probably user error that broke that shock.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I have been wheeling since the late 1960's and learned along time ago, you get what you pay for. In my case I always played hard and learned quickly the benefit of having good quality, well tested products, to give you the most off the road without failures.
The bulk of the T.F. lifts are sold, not because of their quality but the cheap price which does not work for me when I recommend a product, I recommend them based on their quality and track record.
This last week, there were 4 different threads regarding people replacing and or up grading from T.F's to OME's on RTE suspension, that tells me that not all people have been pleased with their cost savings.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it once right, instead of doing it two or three times is what I learned. And not from wheeling but being a dumb-a teenager haha (still learning). I understand cost is a factor but like Mike said I would rather do it once then to take a chance of having to redo it. I would rather pay $725 for OME HD then two times of TF @ $500/ea. But if cost is an option then by all means go for the TF, it's not bad by any means and many people like it. I was even considering it but I realized I want to build this thing to do whatever and whenever so I'll save up the extra $250 for some OME or RTE.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is such a bad design on LRs part, why are the stock pins on my D1 not broken at 89k miles(as far as I can tell, they are original)? If there is a known weakness, then it is the responsibility of the aftermarket to remedy so their goods work, not to blame design flaws on the vehicle. They should engineer around design flaws, making their product a hands-down win, otherwise there is no reason to go that route. The issue is not the pin, but in the usage of the vehicle.

And pin-style shocks suck...? How do they ride any different than any other style shock? Is the valving different? I am going to assume you meant to say you think the design is flawed and other styles are better suited, or that they are a more difficult to replace style shock.

Besides, vacuums suck, shocks blow.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why can't we all have $20k to blow on our rovers? Then we could all just shut up and buy whatever we wanted and if we find a flaw in our parts after adding other stuff we would just buy what we need. The problem is we don't have that kind of cash laying around (well most of us). So we have to plan ahead, what are we using it for? What is going to be on my vehicle? Based on those needs you buy your parts.

Quick Reply: Lift kit for sale to make my tires fit?