Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift questions

I know search works but new items are posted all the time.

Ruby will be getting a lift in january after she gets out of the paint shop.

I was thinking 2-3 inch, I DO NOT want to do major suspension changes.

I was thinking just springs and shocks....

Please give me your advice and point the direction and where to purchase.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Given you do not want to deal with driveline issues I'd stay with 2" lift.
First determine if you want Medium or HD springs based upon your expected usage. TerraFirma has some great spring/shock kits in Light, Medium, and Heavy duty. If you want HD then RTE springs are a good option too, along with whatever shocks you want.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling

School me on springs, I was looking at those springs OEM, medium and Heavy.

heavy gives the best lift? Do heavy springs give a bad ride?

Ruby will be used as a grocery getter, boat hauler, and off roader in Arizona and New MExico.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Rock Crawling

I was in the same boat, went with OME HD springs front/rear in anticipation of heavy duty bumpers in the near future (wanted them to handle the weight and not have to buy new springs). Truck is at stock weight. The ride on the OME heavy springs is great...much more compliant and supple on the highway than my 335i with sport suspension, at least straight line. Haven't had a chance to test it out off road, and I still don't know the truck well enough to do any high-speed cornering or lane-change maneuvers so I can't speak about stability in those areas.

The overall lift after install was about 2.5" front and just over 2" rear. For reference, including the height of my 255/70/16 my truck is sitting at 80" tall from the top of the side rails to the floor.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Discolife
School me on springs, I was looking at those springs OEM, medium and Heavy.

heavy gives the best lift? Do heavy springs give a bad ride?

Ruby will be used as a grocery getter, boat hauler, and off roader in Arizona and New MExico.

The "heavy gives best lift" comment really depends on the company.. You can find spring rates and lift heights for OME springs here Old Man Emu Coil Springs -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

I have found thru experience that the D1 Terrafirma 2" kits give you a solid 2" lift (maybe even a bit more) regardless of spring rating.

RTE would be my pick if you're going to be loading it up at all especially if you'll be frequently towing a big boat. Their springs are made in the USA and they are tough.

I have used 2" MD OME, 2" HD Terrafirma, 2" RTE, 3" RTE, and 5" RTE. All of the RTE springs you can get today are HD. For a truck you'd like to keep as close to stock as possible and you tow the boat very little I'd suggest MD duty springs. I plan to put a set of MD OME on my RRC in the near future..

Shocks are up to you. I run Fox on my D1 and Terrafirma on my RRC. The Terrafirma shocks are surprising me so far. If I was going to stay close to stock and didnt get a good deal on my current shocks, I'd go with the stock replacement Bilsteins.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tow a 20' pontoon and have hauled a couple cars on Med duty terrafirma springs with zero issues. Biggest problem with towing in these things is stopping and hills. I would love 4.10s and d90 breaks