Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question: To Lift or Not To Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Question: To Lift or Not To Lift?

I have a 1999 Discovery Series II that 120k on the factory shocks and springs. They are in need of replacement, and I'm wondering if I should go stock height or just bite the bullet and go with a 2" Terrafirma lift?

I do not need to lift my truck. The off-roading I do is on basalt rock and I can avoid obstacles well enough with the current suspension. However, I do plan to put a bit bigger tires on the rig, if for no other reason than to give the diffs a bit more breathing room.

I plan to go with 245-75-16s if I stay stock height, 235-85-16s if I go with a 2" lift. Again, I do not need the extra lift for what I do....it would just provide more breathing room. I do not want to do any additional mods to accomodate the lift and/or larger tires outside a tiny bit of trimming if necessary. No re-gearing, no other suspension mods....nothing.

I'm also wondering if just replacing the springs and shocks would lift the truck a little bit? If so, which do you recommend?

Are there any 1" lift kits?

What about going with +2" shocks on stock height springs? Any advantages or disadvantages to doing that?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for the lift. I have the 3" TF lift with the +2 shocks. It is a big improvement over the tired old stock suspension.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
Go for the lift. I have the 3" TF lift with the +2 shocks. It is a big improvement over the tired old stock suspension.
I suppose I should have added the rig will be driven on snow-covered, stormy, windy freeways approximately 2-3 hours each way for about 45 miutes of off-roading.

Go pix of your Disco II with the 3" TF lift?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you already off road the truck, you pretty much should be able to answer that question yourself.

If it does what you need it to do at it's stock height, don't mess with it. All lifts come with compromises. If one of those compromises would get you someplace you want to go and you're willing to deal with the down side, then lift it.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DarylJ
If it does what you need it to do at it's stock height, don't mess with it.
Any ideas for springs and shocks? I have to replace both, anyway, stock height or lifted.

Last edited by Emperor_MA; 06-13-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Emperor_MA
I suppose I should have added the rig will be driven on snow-covered, stormy, windy freeways approximately 2-3 hours each way for about 45 miutes of off-roading.

Go pix of your Disco II with the 3" TF lift?

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the pic. Very nice truck!

I want to outfit mine quite similar to yours. First up is a reman front driveshaft from Great Basin Rovers. Then, some way to engage the CDL, with my preferences being the set up from a Discovery I.

Then comes new springs, shocks and tires. Still haven't decided if there will be a lift involved with that, or not.

Then a roof rack and rock sliders at least partially funded by the existing factory running boards.

I've already scored OEM floor mats and cargo mat, center caps for the five-spoke alloys and 8mm ignition wires.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Winching

Sounds like a pretty good upgrade plan to me.

The only things I'd suggest thinking about would be to make sure you have really good recovery points both in the front and rear, and then I'd suggest installing diff guards. I would do both of these after the CDL but before you add the sliders.

If you look at the stock front recovery point, you'll see why a lot of people have concerns about using it to yank a stuck truck out. (Options that address this are finding a place to install JATE rings, or getting a steel front bumper with recovery points built in.) The rear recovery point is pretty easily addressed with a hitch mounted shackle.

The other big concern is that Disco diffs are fragile and I've seen them crack when inadvertently encountering rocks. Don't let this be your fate:

Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The medium 2" OME kit will net you about 1.75" over stock. No brake or ABS line extensions or drive-line adjustments needed.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
The medium 2" OME kit will net you about 1.75" over stock. No brake or ABS line extensions or drive-line adjustments needed.
I know, Rob. That's what has me waffling back and forth.

I have to spend $600 - 900 on springs and shocks, regardless of if they're stock height or lifted. The 2" kits shouldn't require other mods, but they will make the rig taller (read: wind magnet) and will change a few things at least somewhat.

The expense is there either way...but does the benfefit of lifting outweigh the trade-offs?

Quick Reply: Suspension Question: To Lift or Not To Lift?