Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lifter / Tappet Pre-load THOUGHTS / INPUT NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Call a machine shop they will have what you need laying around. There's not much to a shim so even the ones for specialty makes like Rover are generally the same as another vehicle. If they don't have what you need I'd bet they can order or make them. We had a nice cnc so we generally just cut them as needed from whatever size stock was desired.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I opted for adjustable push rods for my 4.6 litre motor.
The rods were made for me by Crower Cams in the USA.
This way I can get each valve exactly right.
Jeff

Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Timebus
if this is common why cant I find any SHIMS here in the USA??? IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO GET THESE ........i really wanna leave OREGON no offense ERIC but im SICK SICK sick of being stuck here waiting for parts and the prospect of waiting for these to come from freaking the UK at the cost of $100 for what clear is a 10$ item is making me kinda wanna suicide...... ive been on the phone all morning and am getting a migrane now

PLEASE WHERE DO I GET ONES THAT FIT within 2-5DAYS AT REASONABLE COST........

THANKS, SIGNED DONE WITH THIS DEPRESSING WEATHER MISSING FLORIDA DEEPLY ......GETME THE F*** OUTTA HERE
Go to D&D Fabrication, they should be able to help you or call Paul Schram, his number is posted below.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go to D&D Fabrication, they should be able to help you or call Paul Schram, his number is posted below.
Mike, I sure hope Timebus isn't still in Oregon since his post was 6 months ago.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Adjustable push rods are a great idea, but yes she's long gone from Oregon.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Once you have an excess amount shaved from heads, if you don't use a thicker set of head gaskets, you end up with increased compression ratio. Increased compression ratio means engine will generally run worse on octane rating of fuel we commonly run today; lowering compression ratio generally means that you can run fuels of lower octane rating. On my 1991 Classic Range Rover, I rebuilt my engine, and lowered the compression ratio via. using head gaskets suited to do so, due to their thickness, and was able to run cheapo low octane rating fuel, with no ill effects, for well over 150,000 miles. Lifter pre-load is very important, for if it not done, you very well may find that the tappets are way too noisy; I had that, crossed that bridge, and did the pre-load correctly, and, bingo, no more tappet noise that will drive you crazy, if nothing else.