Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Hydraulic winch info. Your input needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydraulic winch info. Your input needed

I’ve decided to invest in a Hydraulic winch for my 1991 RR classic. If you’ve done this as well please give me some insight in to things I should consider. i.e. Will my stock Power steering pump suffice or will I have to upgrade? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (I’m currently considering a MileMaker)

Thanks, Dinandan

[IMG]local://upfiles/2491/D3577DDEF2B048369307C8A7C8C1D1AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hydraulic winch info. Your input needed

I have a electric one but I have been told that upgrading the pump is always recommended for 9000 lbs or higher winches

Old 07-08-2006, 05:55 PM
5th Gear

personally I would ditch the hydraulic and get an electric...... milemarker quit hosting the milemarker challenge because there were electrics winning time and time again. if you kill your vehicle in a water crossing (god forbid) how do u expect to extract yourself? if you have a dead engine u have a dead wich.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: extremetoy1

personally I would ditch the hydraulic and get an electric...... milemarker quit hosting the milemarker challenge because there were electrics winning time and time again. if you kill your vehicle in a water crossing (god forbid) how do u expect to extract yourself? if you have a dead engine u have a dead wich.
So if you get stuck in a water crossing you would us an electric winch under water? Just curious... I'd like to read about why milemarker stopped hosting the milemarker challenge. Where did you hear or read that?

Thanks,
Dinandan

Old 07-14-2006, 12:37 PM
5th Gear

umm havent you ever used an electric wich under water?!! yes I have numerous times they do work believe it or not (12 volts isnt a 110 hair dryer) Mile Marker isnt going to say that they stopped doing it because electrics were winning, if you followed the series you would see time and time again it was the electric prepped vehicles that would win which I found hilarious after seeing four or five winners using electrics, they seemed to stop the event with no reason (kinda obvious). Would you use your electric in the middle of a deep stream crossing?! you bet your *** you would- even if your winch wouldnt work (I have never seen one wet that wouldnt) you would try at least try, with a Hydraulic winch you would know better than to try if your engine were dead.... you wouldnt even touch the controller in that case cause you would have nothing to attempt... dead engine dead winch, you can borrow a battery but you cant borrow an engine.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Three Wheeling

DC motors do not short out in water so you would never have an issue with it

Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: CronicJoeBlunt

DC motors do not short out in water so you would never have an issue with it

Thanks for the back up Bluntman!