Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A little help with the fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I ordered the replacement fuel filter kit from AB and gave it to my mechanic.

He returned it saying its the wrong one. Not sure yet what's wrong with it. I haven't looked at it yet. I'm thinking I may have the same problem.
As long as you ordered the correct kit form AB your mechanic is a idiot.

If you ordered one of these kits, it is correct and your guy knows nothing or does not want to mess with it.

Fuel Filter (Genuine Part # STC1677) - Land Rover gas filters from Atlantic British

Fuel Filter Kit - Land Rover gas filters from Atlantic British

Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My fuel line horror story

GUYS,

I have the worst fuel line experiences yet on my 1997 Discovery. When I first bought it, I had the intermittent start issue. Thought it was the starter, got a replacement from local salvage yard.

While attempting better access to the starter, I lifted the two fuel lines from thier clamp locations along the passenger's front wheel well. The next morning I had a huge stain and slight puddle in the driveway all along the fuel lines. A half tank had drained out overnight. Just from lifting the lines out of three or four clamps.

The lines from the tank to the engine bay had corroded so severely they looked like swiss cheese., I bought a new RN fuel pump. A 25 foot roll of steel tubing, some fuel injector hose material and fuel injector rated clamps. The preformed replacement pieces are ridiculous in price from any Rover supplier.

The fuel filter was also original and it corroded so badly the clamp ate a pinhole into the cylinder of the filter body. So I rerouted my replacement line more along the side of the frame, starting off feeding a few feet of tubing from the coil thru the little fule pump access panel in the rear floor pan, and then crawling under the vehicle, pulling a few feet more thru and routing it over the rear axle, then a gradual turn out board, up and over the top of the frame, located the filter along the top side portion of the frame and then continuing to the engine bay and up by the fuel rail. I cut the tubing and returned to the rear to run the return line same as the feed line.

Had I thought to do so, I may have left the filter off, but i had one left over for my wifes 1999 Explorer with straight nipples so i stubbed it in to the feed side with rubber tubing. The rubber tubing has been a source of leaks, the first pieces lasted about a year then suddenly split longitudinally. I replaced them with same from Advanced Auto, they leaked after a while. I am on third set of rubber pieces at the fuel filter and hate it.

A 25 foot coil of tubing is only about 20 bucks, but the fuel injector hoses are about a buck a foot and I have gone thru several feet of it from both Advanced, AutoZone and now Pep Boys. The clamps are junk as well, made offshore.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spike....

I ordered the second one. Is there any mod required or does it go in straight up. Yea, he's a bonehead. Right now he's my best option after me.

Fuel Filter Kit - Land Rover gas filters from Atlantic British.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It goes in just like the old one, it even has the rubber lines if you need them.
If you start a new thread and post pics of your current fuel filter we can tell you how to replace it.
Its not hard, just need basic tools and some guidance.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
It goes in just like the old one, it even has the rubber lines if you need them.
If you start a new thread and post pics of your current fuel filter we can tell you how to replace it.
Its not hard, just need basic tools and some guidance.
ok thanks a lot! great to know.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it figured out, after shopping around I found some repair kits. I found a filter (GF578) that would fit as well as a fitting which was $27.10. Not a bad price really! While I was under there messing with it I also found an exhaust leak between the cats and the silencer, replaced that gasket and the bolts and Boom! All fixed!

Attached Thumbnails A little help with the fuel filter-dscf2141.jpg   A little help with the fuel filter-dscf2142.jpg   A little help with the fuel filter-dscf2143.jpg   A little help with the fuel filter-dscf2144.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation have no power

ok i'm stumped my 1999 range rover 4.6 HSE is pissing me off... the fuel line seems to be running strait to the fuel rail motoralldatadiy.com has nothing it seems as I HAVE NO PRESSURE REGULATER The problem is that nobody knows

Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Cody, get in the habit of checking on that clamp and hoses on a regular basis. A fuel injection rated hoses is a different style from a worm gear clamp like you have. And hoses can split.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-09-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I was planning on changing my fuel filter for the heck of it.... am I wasting my time/money? I have the stock setup nothing seems rusted too bad, should be an easy job. is it unnecessary is the question

Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM

Fibs,

The real question is how long has that one been on there? Like is it blocked? If you are uncertain,go ahead and change it.

Quick Reply: A little help with the fuel filter