Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Lock issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 07:01 PM
|
Pro Wrench
Default Lock issues.

I have some locking issues,

The front door I can live with, if the key hole isn't turned correctly it wont unlock even with the lock in the UP position.

But the drivers side rear lock is what bothers me.

If you go to pull the handle, it feels like it will unlock the door will open slightly and then be stuck there.
It sounded as if that lock was taking the longest to "unlock" electronically. And it looked like it wasn't raised all the way, and reaching in and pulling it would fix the issue.

So I figured it was the actuator? [Black electric thing at the bottom of the door] And replaced it [free] sadly the issue is still there.

HOW DO I FIX THIS

Old 08-10-2010 | 07:08 PM
Winching
Default I just did this...

I had a very similar issue...the lock assembly needs to be replaced. Either a worn part or a tension spring is broken. Not worth refurbishing...

You'll have to remove the window assembly to get at the lock. It's not fun but certainly do-able.

Just get a new to you / used one from www.roverlandparts.com

It'll be about $50 vs. hundreds for new.

I can do a step-by-step if you want... but I bet you 'kin do it.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 08-10-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 | 07:26 PM
Winching

I assume you have tried to clean and lube everything well? I had a few sticky locks but I cleaned them up well and sprayed them with some silicone spray to help loosen everything up. I am sure you have already checked all the obvious stuff but I thought I would double check. Oh and btw one of my back door locks had some bent parts that I had to straighten out to get it working right again. I even had to fab some missing parts on the drivers door out of some heavy duty wire coat hangers.

Old 08-10-2010 | 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by discomedic4
I assume you have tried to clean and lube everything well? I had a few sticky locks but I cleaned them up well and sprayed them with some silicone spray to help loosen everything up. I am sure you have already checked all the obvious stuff but I thought I would double check. Oh and btw one of my back door locks had some bent parts that I had to straighten out to get it working right again. I even had to fab some missing parts on the drivers door out of some heavy duty wire coat hangers.
Very nice!!
The Rover engineers (the original ones) would be so proud.

Old 08-10-2010 | 08:52 PM
Winching

LOL! I think they would actually be jealous that my coat hanger parts function better and are stronger than theirs. And they probably charged 200 dollars for those metal parts lol.