Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

LONG TERM TEST RESULT: Terrafirma Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LONG TERM TEST RESULT: Terrafirma Shocks

Ok gang. I almost had my Terrafirma shocks for a year. I thought all nice and dandy until about three months ago, they started to make a funny metal to metal noise.

Progressively it got worst, especially after a 4x4 event. At first I thought it was my brake pads floating on me so I just ignored it (dumb me)

Anyways...about two weeks ago me and my friend got under the car and I pressed down on the front of the vehicle. The shock was moving through the shock mount. Figured it needs to be tightened maybe it got loose after the event...nope they were snug as a son of a gun.

Install new monroe shocks (much much firmer than Terrafirma ever was) and the front TF shocks were seized up somehow. This is after about 7500 miles and about 10 mild off road trip with 1 pretty hardcore one.

END RESULT: STICK WITH OME SHOCKS or get Monroe's with lifetime warranty I was very suprised how firm the Monroe's were compared to Terrafirma..even when it was new. I AM VERY DISSAPPOINTED WITHE TF FRONT SHOCKS

Last edited by thehun; 07-25-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GOOD TO KNOW!

Funny, I was just reading an old post from last year on the kit installation. I was trying to find any updates. Then, BAM, here is your post...good timing! I wonder if that is why TF makes a HD shock as an option....

Now if I can only find a few on Cellular Dynamic and Gaz shocks from BritParts......

Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Winching

Honestly...stick with what is tried and true...OME or MONROE's...the rear TF shock is working just fine and so are the springs and tie rods...

Old 07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
Honestly...stick with what is tried and true...OME or MONROE's...the rear TF shock is working just fine and so are the springs and tie rods...
Was it BOTH front shocks, or just one side? Is there a difference in the front shock vs. the rear? Different part numbers?

You should send that(those) shock(s) back to the manufacturer or your supplier, and ask for a warranty replacement(s), 7500 miles seems WAY to early for a shock to fail (even though you've already replaced them with Monroe's).

Old 07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Winching

both front shocks...the difference is the way they mount...im sure valving is different.

honestly..the trouble of shipping and such didnt worth to get another replacement and pay for install and wonder if it fails on me again....

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...honestly..the trouble of shipping and such didnt worth to get another replacement and pay for install and wonder if it fails on me again....
Where'd you get the kit from? If they indeed failed because of a manufacturer's defect, then the company should send you a call tag (to pay for the return shipping) then send you a replacement set of front shocks, at no cost to you, which you can turn around and sell to make some of your money back, since you've already replaced the failed ones on your own dime.

Guess I'm just saying that's what I'd do, because for the amount of money you dropped on the new lift, the company you bought it from should be all over helping your recoup some of your losses, because in the end they should want more of your business and they don't want to sell a poor product that fails within 8K miles.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

why would you pay for installation? i had my TF HD +2 shocks on for two years and have off roaded many times, beating them to hell and I'm yet to have any issues.

‪Pine Barrens Spring Fling '11‬‏ - YouTube

‪Rockin Rausch‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of warranty do the TF's have if any?

I worked in Quality Assurance both in Aerospace and a few other industries. The best approach you can take is to find the phone number or email address for the Director Of Quality Assurance for the actual manufacturer. Call them and ask to speak to the Quality Assurance Director or department head and calmly inform them of the problems you had with their product. Tell them that bottom line is that YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED with the product and ask them what are they going to do about it.

They should be able to issue you a RMA ( return material authorization) with them picking up the total shipping cost. They will most likely already have a preferred shipper like UPS, FEDEX, or some major shipper that will even pick up the failed shocks and take care of the shipping for you.

We had a very large deep fryer (Fry Daddy brand) that cost about 100 bucks, the digital controls on it quit, so I did what I described above, spoke personally with the woman that was in charge of their corporate Quality Dept. Explained to her that we were not pleased with the sub-quality digital controls that had totally disabled an otherwise well made stainless steel deep fryer. She sent me a package with prepaid shipping thru Fedex, and a catalog of their newest products and a letter telling me to chose whatever products that I wanted that were similar in price to what we had previously purchased and a preaddressed postage paod envelope to return to her indicating our selection for a replacement. I had told her I wanted something that did not have a similar control panel, that I preferred one with a rotary temperature control rather than the "touch panel digital controls". We received the replacement within a few days and it has worked fine ever since.

If you contact the right people, they should take care of the problem.

I think it is kind of ironic that your thread appeared right under the one from ShadowMerchant" who is removing and selling the same product from the 98D1 that he is parting out.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Winching

My supplier isnt at fault for this malfunction, so I do not believe they should be held liable for this. I might have gotten a dud..and this is merely my experience with TF front shocks...if your TF is working..great I am really happy for you. Everything else in my kit is working

As far as paying for install...I didnt on the new monroe's...my shop ran a special for free installs if you bought the shocks there.

I dont think TF has any warranty...didnt have any warranty paper work with them

**Anyways...I am just glad that I have zero suspension noise and a good working suspension with a for sure lifetime warranty**

Last edited by thehun; 07-25-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The last suspension I used was the OME full kit. It is the best kit for the D's no doubt. But, I currently trying to see what the alternatives are these days. MM in the UK has a full HD suspension kit for the D1, packaged with Cellular Dynamic shocks, which I am considering. I read through Britpart specs and the shocks comes with a 2yr warranty, same as OME. Shocks are relatively inexpensive, compared to the full c-overs on my other cars.

If the TF shock are still under warranty, I would definitely give them a ring or email. If it is an internal failure and within the time frame, it should be a done deal.

Quick Reply: LONG TERM TEST RESULT: Terrafirma Shocks