Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

LONG TERM TEST RESULT: Terrafirma Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
My supplier isnt at fault for this malfunction, so I do not believe they should be held liable for this....
I'm not saying the supplier you bought it from is at fault, but as a TF dealer they should be able to go to TF to get a warranty replacement for you that you could sell and recover some of your money.

But apparently you have a money tree in your back yard so you're not to worried about double paying for shocks, which is fine by me, as long as you're happy that's all that matters!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Winching

Its not money growing on trees...I just dont want to mess with the hassle of it. They would have made me take them off...test them...maybe send a video..put them back on...wait a week or so to get the replacements....put new ones on...box the old ones up and go ship them....honestly....thats 2-3 days of my life I can save by spending a mere 100 bucks for shocks and free install plus lifetime warranty on shocks instead of two years (if any)....

Old 07-26-2011, 12:18 AM
TReK

Its not money growing on trees...I just dont want to mess with the hassle of it. They would have made me take them off...test them...maybe send a video..put them back on...wait a week or so to get the replacements....put new ones on...box the old ones up and go ship them....honestly....thats 2-3 days of my life I can save by spending a mere 100 bucks for shocks and free install plus lifetime warranty on shocks instead of two years (if any)....
2-3 Days to send an email and go to UPS to drop off a package? They would NOT request a video or make you test them, that's their job. You just send them in...

And a "mere 100 bucks"??? Who are you, Thurston Howell? I wish I could describe $100 as "mere."

The issue I have is that if you are going to post a bad review on a public forum about a product, without even attempting to rectify the problem you had by reporting the issue to the company, what's the point?

Old 07-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Mudding

Sorry - I have to chime in here as a TF user.

I've had no issues with mine. My kit was/is warrantied through the store I purchased, and in the event of failure, you bet your *** I'll be getting replacements. If not, I'll badmouth the crap out of them both (within legal limits of course).

Whether I spend 200 bucks or 2000 bucks I'm going to hold the company to a standard.

I keep hearing 'stick to what's tried and true' etc etc. Well, nothing would be tried and true if people didn't freakin try it. OME kicks ***, there is no doubt there but I have a hard time believing they haven't had their failures as well. Of all the TF threads and reviews I've read, this is the first failure I've come across.

Its like the retread discussion all over again.

It sucks your shocks died. Sorry to hear, and glad you're up and running again. Hopefully mine yield longer, more positive results. I'm at 15 months - but waaaaay fewer miles.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
2-3 Days to send an email and go to UPS to drop off a package? They would NOT request a video or make you test them, that's their job. You just send them in...

And a "mere 100 bucks"??? Who are you, Thurston Howell? I wish I could describe $100 as "mere."

The issue I have is that if you are going to post a bad review on a public forum about a product, without even attempting to rectify the problem you had by reporting the issue to the company, what's the point?
I dont want this to be an arguing post between you and I. BUT IF I TAKE THE SHOCKS OFF THATS HALF OF DAYS OF WORK, I SEND THEM IN....I GOT TO WAIT A WEEK OR SO FOR THE REPLACEMENTS TO COME IN..PUT THEM BACK ON, ANOTHER HALF OF DAYS OF WORK...WHAT AM I GOING TO DRIVE WHILE I WAIT FOR REPLACEMENTS?? PLUS ITS 100+ DEGREES OUTSIDE AND I DONT WANT TO WORK OUTSIDE IN THAT HEAT...THATS WHY I DECIDED TO GET SHOCKS LOCALLY AND GET WARRANTY SO IF THERE IS A PROBLEM...I CAN JUST GO TO THEM AND NOT BE DOWN...THAT TO ME IS WORTH 100 DOLLARS, AND ME SAYING "MERE" IS TOTALLY MY DECISION NOT YOURS ON WHAT AND HOW I VIEW MY MONEY...BY ME SAYING "MERE" THE COST/BENEFIT TO ME MEANS THAT THE BENEFITS OUTWEIGHED THE HASSLE OF JACKING WITH A WARRANTY CLAIM 1000 MILES AWAY JUST TO GO SATISFY YOUR NEEDS

Last edited by thehun; 07-26-2011 at 07:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Toms (09-09-2022)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Sorry - I have to chime in here as a TF user.

I've had no issues with mine. My kit was/is warrantied through the store I purchased, and in the event of failure, you bet your *** I'll be getting replacements. If not, I'll badmouth the crap out of them both (within legal limits of course).

Whether I spend 200 bucks or 2000 bucks I'm going to hold the company to a standard.

I keep hearing 'stick to what's tried and true' etc etc. Well, nothing would be tried and true if people didn't freakin try it. OME kicks ***, there is no doubt there but I have a hard time believing they haven't had their failures as well. Of all the TF threads and reviews I've read, this is the first failure I've come across.

Its like the retread discussion all over again.

It sucks your shocks died. Sorry to hear, and glad you're up and running again. Hopefully mine yield longer, more positive results. I'm at 15 months - but waaaaay fewer miles.
All my other TF components are working fine so far. See I do not have a local shop that carriers or deals with anything Discovery...so I am resorted to mail order and I just didnt want to jack with the hassle of doing warranty claims through that (been there done that before)

Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are cool.....rally type.....

Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I have not suggested T.F. suspensions, wanted to wait and see how they are holding up before I promote them.
I am a bit surprised that you had some many bad issues with them, did you speak with your supplier regarding a warranty if any?
I am and still we supporting OME or RTE. I have a 9 year old set of 751/762 coils and shocks, they have been all over California's High desert, Death Valley and Colorado and I am just now about to up grade my shocks to the Sport shock with it's 3 valve system.
Monroes, can not stand up to serious wheeling, Bilstein's are good, but real expensive and hard to warranty.
Stay away from the Big Blue coils as well as A.B.'s Yellow coils. RTE are great especially for people who are looking for 3 plus inches of lift.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 AM
TReK

I dont want this to be an arguing post between you and I...
Oy! I'm not arguing with you at all, nor am I trying to TELL you what to do...you are the one raising your internet voice (all caps AND underline? sheesh!)

More than anything I am just curious...The bad shocks are already off (as you stated above, so that work is done) and the replacements are already on (so you won't be without a vehicle), so all you'd have to do is box up the 2 shocks that are already off, and get a call tag and box them up!...30 minutes max!...that's if you get a beer while you're looking for the packing tape

If nothing else TF can issue a quality control investigation, and perhaps fix a potential problem for future customers if deemed it is indeed a manufacturer's glitch. And hell, they might even give you a credit to buy something else on their website for all your troubles....we do live in America, where customer service is king.

But like you said, it's YOUR time, it's YOUR lost money, so do whatever makes you happy and keeps you out of that 100+ heat, wouldn't want you breaking a sweat (JUST KIDDING BRO)

That's all I have to say about that....I hope we can still be friends

Quick Reply: LONG TERM TEST RESULT: Terrafirma Shocks