Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Loss of Power

So this morning on my way home from work my disco did something it has never done before. When I gave it gas from a standstill it bogged down like a diesel with gas in it or like a limp mode. Both times it only lasted for about 5 sec and then took off like normal. I am not throwing any codes, I have new 8mm magnacor wires, I have been using Exxon premium gas in it since I bought it in Feb, and had recent oil change to rotella. The only thing is that for about 2 weeks I have been dealing with a rough idle intermittently. Any ideas?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you cleaned the throttle body &/or the idle/air control motor ?? possibly time for a new fuel filter

Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Winching

New fuel filter less than 250 miles ago. I wondered about the throttle body but I haven't the first clue about where it is or how to clean it. I also plan to pull my spark plugs as soon as I can and check them for fouling and gap. Any tips on how to clean the t-body would be great unless there is a write-up on it I missed then you can point me that direction . Thanks.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Winching

Disregard on the t-body how to. I found it. I was just overlooking it. I will give that a try and report back. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:06 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Run fuel pressure tests to make sure you don't have a leak down somewhere. It should be at 32lbs at idle and when it shut off it really shouldn't drop. If it does then do the same test but clamp off the return line to see if its not the pump.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good Luck, from what I have seen on these, when you start to do one simple little thing, something either breaks, sticks, hangs or somehow does something that you end up doing a lot more than anticipated. I just put new Bosch Plus plugs in mine anlong with new wires and it was amazing the improvement it achieved.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am betting on a bad VSS.

But start with the basics, clean the t-body and such.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i had this exact problem with an unplugged maf sensor. then it took about 12 hours for the light to finally appear

Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Winching

My MAF is unplugged because I have a chip on there that someone gave me. Think that could have something to do with it? It's been on there for months though so it would be kinda weird to start causing problems now. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will start working through this tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say that was it,

I was having HIGH idle issues a while back. I could not get a check engine light for anything, I tried pulling and driving around with every sensor I could, and no change at all.

Then after I got the ecu reset. I noticed that 1/2-3/4 of the time when I would go to take off there would be a big delay in the truck moving, or reving.

Finally got a code for my maf. Strangely enough I had been driving like this for a while, and never knew. And odd part is, the light came on while I was seafoaming. I know it makes no sense right?

Anyways id plug the maf in, and DEFIANTLY, consider the "chip," I think if you would have said you had a "Chip" in your first post everyone would have questioned it first.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power