Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/k...ons_system.cfm

Basically mid '97 and newer is AEVAP.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again Spike. You rock man. Thanks for staying on top of this new section and helping out. Doing a great job.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Winching

Well this officially sucks. Ordered my O2 sensors from race-mart last night, checked my e-mail today and found out they don't have them in stock and I will have to wait for them to be shipped from NTK in the next stock order because NTK won't do drop orders. Less than three weeks is the best I could nail them down for a time frame. What is this going to do to my truck in the mean time. It has been driving fine, the bog down has only happened 4 times in in 7-8 days. Do you guys think I will be fine or am I gonna ruin my cats driving it?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well,

Wait why not get your o2s from another source? Try amazon? I love amazon cause i have amazon prime. Any package is shipped 2day for free or overnight for 2.99$

Anyways I think you will be fine untill then, and with any other vehicle you would be, but this is a land rover. Im so ecu limp mode scared right now I won't drive my truck if I know it has ANY kind of electrical problem. I never heard of o2s causing this, but hell. Every discovery experience is different.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think youll be fine.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Winching

Am I going crazy? I thought I read somewhere that running rich for too long will cause your cats to fail. For future reference is that possible? I too think I am fine for a little while longer (except for that horribly disgusting 10mpg thing I have going on lol).

Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you been driving it that way the whole time you've had it, a few more days won't matter that much.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am living proof running rich too long will cause your cats to fail.... it sucks... a 400 dollar mistake. If your lucky you can find a food exhaust guy to put on UNI's for you like the magnaflows. but my options were limited. Good luck man. I have had the same problem. get the sensors and or cats replaced.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Winching

So new development today. Was driving and instead of just acting like she was going to stall she did. And then started doing it every time I let the RPM's drop below about 2000. I was having to shift into neutral every time I slowed and keep the engine revved above that to make it home. Does this sound more like the VSS, TPS, or crankshaft position sensor to you guys? I know it could be the MAF but since it has been bypassed for months I don't think it is the problem. (Its not bypassed anymore but the problems began before I hooked the MAF back up and didn't change at first after hooking it back up.) Just wanted to toss some ideas around with you guys before I start buying parts. That way maybe I can start with the correct part and save some money before throwing parts at the problem. Oh btw I noticed today on start up that it spit a fine mist of black carbon all over my hand from the exhaust. No smells and no water. No cooling issues at all with her. And currently no leaks. All fluids are new and correct levels.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

check the fuel pressure at the rail.

Also it probably wont be a TPS but it could be, most likely IACV that needs to be cleaned, not sure if you did.

Little trick I confirmed today does work is a tire pressure gauge on the fuel rail stem. Works perfectly.

Last edited by Spencerfitch; 07-04-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power