Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Loud Noise when I change from parking to any other gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:25 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Noise when I change from parking to any other gear

Hello, Im new with Land Rovers and this is my first one, a 1996 Land Rover Discovery V8i, Im in love with it, my best vehicle so far. I got a problem when I change gear from "P" to "R" or to "D" or any other gear the vehicle makes a loud noise when changing. Everytime I here this noise I think the Tramsmission if going to fall off!! Can someone tell me what this is?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little bit of noise is normal on these trucks..... You can usually quiet them down by changing the oil in the transfer case and differentials. It might also be a Ujoint going bad or need greased also

Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul
A little bit of noise is normal on these trucks..... You can usually quiet them down by changing the oil in the transfer case and differentials. It might also be a Ujoint going bad or need greased also
X2, and you might also consider going with a thicker gear oil like 85W-140. I did and my gear "clunk" has quieted down.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While it is true that some drivetrain noise is normal on these trucks don't write it off as normal yet. What kind of noise is it making exactly? Is it a clunk, a grinding noise, a popping noise, etc. Some clunk is normal, anything else or excessive clunk is not. Give us more details. Also, do you experience the noise at any other time, such as when the truck downshifts while driving or anything? Finally when was the last time you tuned up the truck including a transmission fluid change (ie, the 60K service sticky at the top of the DI page). Check the transmission fluid and tell us what color it is and if it smells burnt.

Last edited by discomedic4; 10-09-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 PM
4wd Low

It's a crunk noise, sometimes it happens when the vehicle downshift while driving, I have never changed the fluids on this vehicle, I just got the vehicle and im going to start to replace all that needs to be replaced, I was kindda worry of the noise because I thought It may be a transmission issue and that im going to need to buy a new transmission, (I DO NOT want that). Im going to grease everything up and hope for the crunk noise to stop. What would you recommend me to change and replace in this vehicle considering it's a a used vehicle from 96?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First make sure all four tires are at the same psi.
Then start by changing the fluid in both differentials and the transfer case, use 85w-140 gear lube.
You will need 7 US quarts for all three.
Also grease all of your u-joints and slip joints on both drive shafts.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Change all the fluids and filters.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:29 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for your quick replies, I forgot to mention my Disco I doesn't have one of the propeller shafts, do you guys think this might be the cause of the "crunk" noise?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Only one prop shaft?! How long has it been running like that? These vehicles are full time four wheel drive. One prop shaft can be removed, and the transfer case locked (shift lever closest to the dash pushed to the left) while the other shaft is being repaired, etc. The general advise when doing this is to drive the vehicle delicately while the other shaft is out, and to put the other shaft back in (and unlock the transfer case) as soon as possible.

If it has been driven with only one shaft for an extended time, I am predicting internal transfer case damage.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your truck is full time four wheel drive, and I think driving it around with out one of the prop shafts can't be good for it. Why, exactly, are you driving without one?

Quick Reply: Loud Noise when I change from parking to any other gear