Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Manual-Trans D1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

There were 67 manual SD’s originally brought to the US for the 97 model year. Alex Sargeant (salesman at LR Seattle) special ordered this one from the Factory, bringing the total number of US manual sD’s to 68.
Weirdly, my friend Jahn Leonard actually did the PDI on this truck when it was new. It’s a pretty small world. It’s conceivable that Land Rovers records were inaccurate of course, but either way there was an incredibly small run of 4.0 GEMS Manual SD’s.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Why not just fly in and drive it home?
I’ll take photos today for you.
At this point in time, I don't have the luxury to take off a few days to buy a car or for any other reason really. Such is life unfortunately.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I hear you.
It’s a day drive to SF from here, I could deliver it.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

There were 67 manual SD’s originally brought to the US for the 97 model year. Alex Sargeant (salesman at LR Seattle) special ordered this one from the Factory, bringing the total number of US manual sD’s to 68.
Weirdly, my friend Jahn Leonard actually did the PDI on this truck when it was new. It’s a pretty small world. It’s conceivable that Land Rovers records were inaccurate of course, but either way there was an incredibly small run of 4.0 GEMS Manual SD’s.
Didnt realize they were that rare. You mind sharing the serial #? Curious as to how far mine is from the end

Old 01-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

here you go. Build month November 1996.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoCam
At this point in time, I don't have the luxury to take off a few days to buy a car or for any other reason really. Such is life unfortunately.
You are trying to find a unicorn so some concessions might be in order. I own my own business and free time is not something that comes often but sometimes you have to make the best of it. I was looking for a similar vehicle a while back but put even more stipulations on it when I said that I want either a white 5spd D1 model year 94-95 or a white Kalahari D2. I found 2 suitable D1s but was not able to make them happen. One was in CA and the other in AZ. One just did not work out because the seller was not forthcoming with all info and the other the seller decided not to sell and then decided to sell after I had already secured the Kalahari. The trip to AZ had already been worked out and would require minimal time of 2-3 days: I am in Atlanta. The Kalahari was a 7-8 hour drive away and not easily accessible to an airport so I trailered it home. Just after this I purchased a BMW wagon for my parents in Brooklyn and made that a day trip. A long day trip. I flew out first thing in the morning, picked up car and drive home. Just slightly further than your SF to Seattle trip.

You have options. One way airfare should be about $125 for you and then you can drive it home. One long day or at most a weekend trip with a one night sleepover somewhere. Another option is to have it transported to you. I have had cars shipped cross country for around a grand. I have had cars shipped from NYC to Atlanta and from ATL to Chicago for 3-400. It took about a week to allow for the best scheduling.

So again you have options. You just have to decide if you really want a 5 spd and what you are willing to do to get it. Not saying this is the one for you. It took me 20 years to find one of my cars. I had a specific model that I wanted and they made 71 from 83-86. None were officially imported to the US as it was a euro only offering. And again I had to have white. I made it work.

Last edited by alpinacsi; 01-13-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by alpinacsi
You are trying to find a unicorn so some concessions might be in order. I own my own business and free time is not something that comes often but sometimes you have to make the best of it. I was looking for a similar vehicle a while back but put even more stipulations on it when I said that I want either a white 5spd D1 model year 94-95 or a white Kalahari D2. I found 2 suitable D1s but was not able to make them happen. One was in CA and the other in AZ. One just did not work out because the seller was not forthcoming with all info and the other the seller decided not to sell and then decided to sell after I had already secured the Kalahari. The trip to AZ had already been worked out and would require minimal time of 2-3 days: I am in Atlanta. The Kalahari was a 7-8 hour drive away and not easily accessible to an airport so I trailered it home. Just after this I purchased a BMW wagon for my parents in Brooklyn and made that a day trip. A long day trip. I flew out first thing in the morning, picked up car and drive home. Just slightly further than your SF to Seattle trip.

You have options. One way airfare should be about $125 for you and then you can drive it home. One long day or at most a weekend trip with a one night sleepover somewhere. Another option is to have it transported to you. I have had cars shipped cross country for around a grand. I have had cars shipped from NYC to Atlanta and from ATL to Chicago for 3-400. It took about a week to allow for the best scheduling.

So again you have options. You just have to decide if you really want a 5 spd and what you are willing to do to get it. Not saying this is the one for you. It took me 20 years to find one of my cars. I had a specific model that I wanted and they made 71 from 83-86. None were officially imported to the US as it was a euro only offering. And again I had to have white. I made it work.
Other than the R380, I’m not very picky on what discovery I find. Color or trim level is of almost no importance to me. Body, chassis, mechanicals are the important stuff in my opinion. Something that’s going to make a good restoration project. I’m sure something in my area will pop up. R380 discoveries have gone for sale several times last year in the Bay Area, but I wasn’t looking to buy at the time. So I’m optimistic I can find something, even if I have to wait a few months. I’m not in a rush so no big deal.I had 2 autos, I just want a manual now. Just want something different.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Most of the manual D1s that I have seen were low trim level: not saying something else would not pop up. But as you know: D1s are not as plentiful on the market as they were a few years ago. With that said; why not add a 5 speed conversion to something you like? That was going to be my planned attack until I decided that I did not want to put another layer of paint and bondo on my 94 model.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

My advice would be to find the nicest D1 you can, with the trim level you want, then buy an r380 and add it. That way, you get the capability you want without having to pay the premium that limited production runs typically can command.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My advice would be to find the nicest D1 you can, with the trim level you want, then buy an r380 and add it. That way, you get the capability you want without having to pay the premium that limited production runs typically can command.
That's also an option. I haven't found a clean D1 around here yet, auto or standard, so I'm just waiting to find something I like.

Quick Reply: Manual-Trans D1 questions