Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Manual-Trans D1 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much is a D1 manual worth

ive got a 1996 D1 5 speed that I’ve fully restored. Engine rebuilt, new suspension w lift, brand new leather interior, performance exhaust, snorkel, aftermarket bumpers w winch etc. mine has the rear jump seats and dual sunroofs. Everything works and the truck is in absolute cherry shape despite clock now showing 180k. I know these things. Are rare but I never thought of them as valuable. How much do you guys reasonably think it’s worth?

Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
here you go. Build month November 1996.
mine is a little before that, 536764 7/96

if you get a chance can you look at your cooling lines and see if they are routed the same as the diagram? Mine are either really bent, or the diagram is wrong

Old 01-15-2018, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

There is a manual 94' Disco on CL here in Denver.. Worth checking out? 200k on the clock and needs some love.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf
mine is a little before that, 536764 7/96

if you get a chance can you look at your cooling lines and see if they are routed the same as the diagram? Mine are either really bent, or the diagram is wrong

I’ll take a look tomorrow for you.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have one of the 68 manual 97s and owner an r380 96

i love the manuals, both of my trucks had/haveexactly zero options with the exception of a cd spinner in each case. I love the lack of leather, sunroofs or seat motors. They are not attempting to be Range rovers they are basic enough with rubber matts to be closer to a comfortable defender. Neither truck has/had slipped liner issues. I have an unsubstantiated theory that that may be because the manual allows for more rev range during use/missuse and also there is no auto trans cooler sapping some cooling potential. They97 seems to be a slightly better built truck with slight differences. I suspect the manual trucks will rise in value just as d1 s in general will. By this time they’ve been totally ratted out or sorted out....the vast majority having been thought of as disposable. Good ones are surprisingly rare manual or auto. Manuals though... they are definitely more common in the west. Colorado has more than their fair share of manual trucks.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

California has a few tooling about.

The base model is the ideal one to go for, much less electrics to go bad, no sunroofs, the cooler seats I like. However. If I am being honest that trans while good is not the most amazing driving experience. Even brand spanking new, syncros and all, first and 2nd gear are a pain, and the V8 compared to the diesels makes for some of the worst rubber banding in low gear I've seen. Bit of a noticeable gear whine too.

I like the 3.9 14CUX a bit more but that's all I know, easier for me to figure out, less ECU's

That said they're slick and fun to drive, very peppy, and the cool factor of the 3 pedals makes them all the more collectible. Kind of a hoopdie but one with character that just sort of works.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Drifting
Default Two things...

So I’ve heard about the second gear synchro weakness for about 20 years and it hasn’t been an issue with either of my trucks mostly because second gear itself is kind of useless unless in low range. I skip 1 to 3 almost always and rarely dump it down to 2.
One other thing, I too am REALLy curious about documentation of the actual numbers of manual trans 97s. I’ve heard in the 40s to 50s to 80s but anyone through the years on msg boards has a number below. 100. Where might one find any official data on this?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatchetjack
So I’ve heard about the second gear synchro weakness for about 20 years and it hasn’t been an issue with either of my trucks mostly because second gear itself is kind of useless unless in low range. I skip 1 to 3 almost always and rarely dump it down to 2.
One other thing, I too am REALLy curious about documentation of the actual numbers of manual trans 97s. I’ve heard in the 40s to 50s to 80s but anyone through the years on msg boards has a number below. 100. Where might one find any official data on this?
The closest I got to the production number was that the original owner of my truck, Alex Sargeant told me that he special ordered his from the Factory after the full 67 manual SD run had already been allocated, making his truck, #68 and the last one with build month/year of 11/96. Land Rover produced 14,703 NAS Discovery's for the 1997 model year if the data here Land Rover FAQ - History, Production, Sales - US/Canada Series Sales is to be believed. The "68" number was independently verified to me by Sean Kent, still a salesman at Land Rover, Seattle. However, given that Alex (original owner) was also a Salesman at Land Rover Seattle in that time period its possible that they got that number from the same source.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
The closest I got to the production number was that the original owner of my truck, Alex Sargeant told me that he special ordered his from the Factory after the full 67 manual SD run had already been allocated, making his truck, #68 and the last one with build month/year of 11/96. Land Rover produced 14,703 NAS Discovery's for the 1997 model year if the data here Land Rover FAQ - History, Production, Sales - US/Canada Series Sales is to be believed. The "68" number was independently verified to me by Sean Kent, still a salesman at Land Rover, Seattle. However, given that Alex (original owner) was also a Salesman at Land Rover Seattle in that time period its possible that they got that number from the same source.
Cool thanks! I’m going to have to look at the mfg date on my truck when I’m back in the country. It would have to have been before yours. Yours is the zebra stripped one right? I think we’ve discussed it on this msg board before.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyone think that an additive like Archoil would help for the 2nd gear issues? I know the PowerStroke community swears by the stuff for their 7.3L and 6.0L engines.

Archoil | The Latest Developments In Nano lubrication

Quick Reply: Manual-Trans D1 questions