Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Many Questions in 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, 6 Speed! So excited haha, but uh..*whispers* having an auto Rover has been fun but I do wish she was a 5 speed..

And yes she is VERY jealous, I don't even think she wants me going to Prom, much less WITHOUT her!

Oh well, without struggle their is no progress
(yes I hi-jacked that quote from Frederick Douglass)

Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least you jack from the best...

Good luck! Have fun.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:19 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on getting her done up. Well, you could tell your parents that you are saving Disco-loads of money doing your own work and that if all goes well, they will never have to take their cars to a shop again. First car I fixed was a Renault Encore Alliance. Dad said, "you want a car to drive, fix that one and it's yours." I was 15. Had to pull the head and have my Dad machine it for me(he's a machinist). Got grounded alot because of that car...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you mean you "blew" one of the bolts? Did you strip the bolt? Damage the threads or what? If it is a threaded hole you are talking about, research the use of a helicoil or maybe you can clean it up with the correct tap. Or drill out to a bigger size and retap as a last resort. If it is just a dmaged bolt, buy a new one. Don't run around missing an important fastener on something critical like an axle.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Pro Wrench

I used an impact gun on the bolts connecting the drive member to the hub assembly. When I tried to take on out the bolt snapped inside.. The head came out with part of the thread but the rest of the bolt is inside of there. The bolt missing from the front diff attaches the steering dampener and this circular counter weight thing, Counter weight is what I think it is, I have no idea. The new diff's bolt hole is too small for the bolt. So I probably need to rethread the hole, but I do not have the piece. My teacher's tool set that does that is missing the exact one we need, convenient right? It's the curse of the Rovers, one thing fixed, another gone wrong.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad Things like that happen when you expose old already stressed fasteners to the sudden impact that an impact driver generates. It is much better to use heavier duty manual techniques. Like a 1/2 drive instead of a 3/8 inch drive. A longer pull handle, breaker bar, provides a lot more leverage that you can apply a slow steadily increasing force to a stubborn fastener instead of a sudden impact.

I have even used my size 14 boot to push on a 3 foot long breaker bar. I had one bolt that was so stubborn I placed a hydraulic jack under the breaker bar, making sure everything was squarely seated, and jacked the bar upward very slowly until the bolt head finally began to turn.

Leave the impact driver in the tool box.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Noted for future reference.

But it's so tempting
I mean:
A) struggle and curse for 15 mins
or
B) Rrrrt! Rrrrt! Done

But yeah I get your point.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Over the years I've broken many more fasteners by hand than I have with an impact wrench.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Pro Wrench

How do I go about taking out the broken bolt in the drive member?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

In the drive member? Do you mean the hub?
Left hand drill bit with a reversing drill. If that doesn't get it out then a bolt extractor.
Something like this, in the appropriate size:

Quick Reply: Many Questions in 1 Thread