Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

More Issues - Brake Pedal Shaking, P1176 Codes, Etc..

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default More Issues - Brake Pedal Shaking, P1176 Codes, Etc..

Hi All, I have some other issues I thought about as well:

1) I have codes P1176 and P0130. I had the codes read and the 0130 is the o2 sensor but not sure about the 1176. I read some threads about the Mass Air Flow sensor but are there any threads with instructions on where to find it and how to clean it?

2) My brake pedal shakes maybe 3 or 4 times a year but when it does it is frightening because for a second it won't stop but when it stops shaking it goes back to normal stopping. It shakes for maybe 5 seconds or less and it makes a noise. Any ideas?

3) Whenever I am accelerating or slowing down and take my foot off of the gas the truck makes a bump or clunk noise. When the RPM gets to about 3,000 and I take my foot off of the gas then the clunk noise happens and then the RPM goes down to about 2,250 and stays between 2,000 and 2,250 while driving. It seems like the truck takes too long to go into 4th and 5th gear. Any ideas?

4) My truck is making a whining noise and the whining gets louder when I press the gas. The mechanic who did the spark plugs says that either it's the transmission or a pulley or maybe even the A/C compressor. He said I should go to a transmission place to get it checked out but I am concerned that they will try to tell me I need a rebuild or something expensive when it might just be something simple..

Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by colemtd
Hi All, I have some other issues I thought about as well:

1) I have codes P1176 and P0130. I had the codes read and the 0130 is the o2 sensor but not sure about the 1176. I read some threads about the Mass Air Flow sensor but are there any threads with instructions on where to find it and how to clean it?

2) My brake pedal shakes maybe 3 or 4 times a year but when it does it is frightening because for a second it won't stop but when it stops shaking it goes back to normal stopping. It shakes for maybe 5 seconds or less and it makes a noise. Any ideas?

3) Whenever I am accelerating or slowing down and take my foot off of the gas the truck makes a bump or clunk noise. When the RPM gets to about 3,000 and I take my foot off of the gas then the clunk noise happens and then the RPM goes down to about 2,250 and stays between 2,000 and 2,250 while driving. It seems like the truck takes too long to go into 4th and 5th gear. Any ideas?

4) My truck is making a whining noise and the whining gets louder when I press the gas. The mechanic who did the spark plugs says that either it's the transmission or a pulley or maybe even the A/C compressor. He said I should go to a transmission place to get it checked out but I am concerned that they will try to tell me I need a rebuild or something expensive when it might just be something simple..
Have you thrown grease with a grease gun into your drive shaft, U joints, etc? Try that and see if the bump/clunk noise stops.

The brake pedal shaking seems like it's either the ABS not working (but it seems you'd have the ABS light on) or you have screwed up rotors. Have they been checked/turned?

The following users liked this post:
colemtd (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AbnMike
Have you thrown grease with a grease gun into your drive shaft, U joints, etc? Try that and see if the bump/clunk noise stops.

The brake pedal shaking seems like it's either the ABS not working (but it seems you'd have the ABS light on) or you have screwed up rotors. Have they been checked/turned?
Thanks, yes the ABS light is on. Sometimes when the pedal shakes the ABS light goes off temporarily but comes back on within 10 - 20 minutes. I'm not sure if my rotors are bad but my brakes don't squeal or anything so I never thought about that..

Also wanted to add that my brake pedal seems to go down further than a normal truck should when I stop. It does stop thank goodness but whenever I get into a rental car that has hard brakes I look like it's my first time driving with all the car jerking trying to get used to very sensitive brakes again on a newer vehicle.. Not sure if there's an adjustment that can be made for the brakes or if they need need to be bled? I don't lose too much brake fluid. I just have to add a little bit maybe once a month..

Old 06-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not a LR expert by any means but have worked on other cars/trucks.

You should not be losing any fluid from your brakes, at all. It's essentially a closed system. If you are adding brake fluid you have a leak somewhere, which is bad.

LR brakes suck I have found out - if I drive my wife's car and then my LR it's a night and day difference, but they shouldn't be doing what yours are doing (leaking, shuddering, etc). It sounds to me like you need a complete brake job. Having a shop do it is expensive. It's easy to replace calipers, brake lines, pads, get the rotors turned all by yourself though and will save you $$ - esp if you find someone who knows LRs in Atlanta and will help you out for beer money.

The following users liked this post:
colemtd (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by AbnMike
I am not a LR expert by any means but have worked on other cars/trucks.

You should not be losing any fluid from your brakes, at all. It's essentially a closed system. If you are adding brake fluid you have a leak somewhere, which is bad.

LR brakes suck I have found out - if I drive my wife's car and then my LR it's a night and day difference, but they shouldn't be doing what yours are doing (leaking, shuddering, etc). It sounds to me like you need a complete brake job. Having a shop do it is expensive. It's easy to replace calipers, brake lines, pads, get the rotors turned all by yourself though and will save you $$ - esp if you find someone who knows LRs in Atlanta and will help you out for beer money.

Thanks. Sounds about right. Why are all of you guys with the best advice so far away?? LOL.. My last mechanic had a LR himself, almost same model but he got deported back to jamaica for some reason so I'm back to square one. Hind sight being 20/20 should have had him resolve all of the issues pronto...