Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

A MUST read when considering buying a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A MUST read when considering buying a Discovery

This article talks about common engine problems.
Especially the liner issue.
JE Robison Service — the blog: All you ever wanted to know about . . Land Rover V8 Engine Failures
ENJOY:

Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad that my Landy NEVER GOT DEXCOOL...I WILL NEVER EVER EVER RUN DEXCOOL IN ANY VEHICLE...that stuff is crap crap crap...never liked it...my only problem with that article is the recommendation of DEXCOOL at the end....JUST FLUSH AND USE GREEN STUFF for D2's.

I actually change out my antifreeze right before winter gets here...cheap insurance, less corrosion can happen this way. I used HD Over the road truck spec coolant

Old 08-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
I am glad that my Landy NEVER GOT DEXCOOL...I WILL NEVER EVER EVER RUN DEXCOOL IN ANY VEHICLE...that stuff is crap crap crap...never liked it...my only problem with that article is the recommendation of DEXCOOL at the end....JUST FLUSH AND USE GREEN STUFF for D2's.

I actually change out my antifreeze right before winter gets here...cheap insurance, less corrosion can happen this way. I used HD Over the road truck spec coolant

Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Interesting article. Glad I have a Disco I that has always had regular green coolant in it. I haven't seen many posts on here or other Disco forums about cylinder sleeves dropping.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously, the main thing you need to worry about is how the previous owner kept the vehicle and the older the vehicle is the more crap that will go wrong with it.

Articles like that are designed to scare and give DIYers the impression that they dont need diagnosis to fix cars just read the internet. If that was the case I would be doing my own surgery on myself and my family.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Winching

The only thing I pulled from that Article was if you neglect the maintenance you can ruin your engine. Doesn't take an engineer to figure that out. Let your Coolent run low and overheat it with the green stuff and see if you don't ruin a block.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True..no coolant is good if you neglect it...but DEXCOOL STILL SUCKS..PERIOD

Old 08-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Winching

I agree that dexcool is garbage!! I only posted this because at least once a month someone on here asks about our engines, and what can happen...

Old 08-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by DiscoJag
Interesting article. Glad I have a Disco I that has always had regular green coolant in it. I haven't seen many posts on here or other Disco forums about cylinder sleeves dropping.
It's more of a DII thing.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i read a more comprhensive article on this very same subject a few years ago. the guy had great photos to go along with it. this simple version is great for people who want to understand why the headliners need replacement on our engines at 100k

Quick Reply: A MUST read when considering buying a Discovery