Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 2" Lift install experience.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the nut won't come off try getting a nut splitter and split the nut in two and remove it that way. I did that once on my old land cruiser which had a stuck nut on the rear shock mount. prior to that I tried heat, pb blast, something in an orange can and it still would not budge.

I got one of those nut splitters at harbour freight and used it once. I had to run a die across the threads to clean it up some but it was fine. trick is to go slow and take your time.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by errose2002
If the nut won't come off try getting a nut splitter and split the nut in two and remove it that way. I did that once on my old land cruiser which had a stuck nut on the rear shock mount. prior to that I tried heat, pb blast, something in an orange can and it still would not budge.

I got one of those nut splitters at harbour freight and used it once. I had to run a die across the threads to clean it up some but it was fine. trick is to go slow and take your time.
Good tip.. I'll try that out.. Thanks

Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Mudding

Well the good news is I managed to get the rear upper shock nut off without breaking anything.. A mate of mine that works on aircraft brought over some of his fancy liquids and tools and managed to get it off..

So as it stands right now, the job is almost 100% complete. The only thing I'm still having trouble with is tightening the front lower shock mount nuts since Terrarfirma in all their wisdom decided to go from a 17mm to a 22mm nut in a space already space restricted. I can barely even get a box wrench in there.

The plan is to grind down a 22mm box wrench too see if I can get it in to at least turn the bloody thing.

I did however notice that my steering is quite a bit off now. Wheel is maybe 30-45 degrees to the left when im going straight. Is it normal to need an alignment after installing a lift/steering stabilizer? I would imagine so just checking.

PS. For anyone wondering, despite Terrafirma not marking any of their springs nor mentioning anything on the boxes or "instructions", their springs ARE Left/Right specific. I put the slightly taller ones on the drivers side.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Mudding

My springs were the same size in height. The only way I could tell which springs went to front or back was because the rear springs were thicker and the rear shock boxes were in the middle of the springs. I do not think that there is a left or a right. At least not that I could tell. Maybe I should pull my front springs off again and see if there is a difference in the spring heights.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by errose2002
My springs were the same size in height. The only way I could tell which springs went to front or back was because the rear springs were thicker and the rear shock boxes were in the middle of the springs. I do not think that there is a left or a right. At least not that I could tell. Maybe I should pull my front springs off again and see if there is a difference in the spring heights.
I could tell front/back easily as they were different PN/boxed separately.

But if you actually put both the rear and both the front side by side they are different heights.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taller ones go on the driver side.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Taller ones go on passenger side.
Seriously? I put them on the drivers side. I thought the idea was for the steering rack/weight of the driver.

How bloody hard is it to include a piece of paper in the box saying "Hey. The springs are side specific".. There is zero instructions and zero markings.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Taller ones go on the driver side.
Damn maybe that is why mine leans a little to the driver's side.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Pro Wrench

How'd you get CUpgt to say opposite things. Getting my 2in. TF lifted truck tonight. We installed taller springs on driver side. And larger springs in rear. Taller to compensate for drivers side lilt?

Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
How'd you get CUpgt to say opposite things. Getting my 2in. TF lifted truck tonight. We installed taller springs on driver side. And larger springs in rear. Taller to compensate for drivers side lilt?
Would you believe the mechanic put the springs on backwards. He was laughing saying my truck was very aggressive in the front. WTF? I told him the deal and pointed to the Lucky8 video which I sent him three times. He worked a couple more hours and then finished. I'll get it today.

Quick Reply: My 2" Lift install experience.