Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 2" Lift install experience.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Man I'm really sorry to hear about all these issues. I have NO issues, but maybe I can help?

Let me know if you need specific pictures of anything. Where's the vibration feel like its coming from? Is something not seated correctly? Everything tightened to spec? I remember my rear shocks (the TF ones) had bolts on the bottom much longer than stock. If you tightened the nut all the way down, it would make the bolt touch the mount. Check that?
What would be the result if the springs were switched left to right. Front to back I have experienced personally. But what about left to right?? What do you think??

Old 07-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
What would be the result if the springs were switched left to right. Front to back I have experienced personally. But what about left to right?? What do you think??
I very seriously doubt any negative result; especially right after install. The spring differences are to compensate for additional driver side weight - I suppose the way to tell if the vibration is a result of right-left swap is to pile a couple people in the front passenger seat and see if it goes away. Again, I doubt it as even if installed wrong the difference is minimal.

My guess is something was bumped out of spec, incorrectly torqued, or even bent during the removal/install process.

Check the sway bar/tie rods/brake lines and anything else that you had to mess with while doing this. Hopefully you figure it out!!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Pro Wrench

After my FJ lift my wheel is cocked to the left. It doesn't pull thought, drives straight as an arrow. I have also developed a very very slight vibration after the lift. Greased the driveshafts and it helped. I'm hoping I just need to rebuild the U-joints. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread though for other possible causes. Hope you figure it out.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well figured it was time for an update. I'm really still not sure where I want to target first as the more reading I do the more areas It could be.

Reading the TF description of the medium springs they specifically say you may develop vibration if you don't have the additional load (which I don't).

I took my ride hide measurements and they are as follows from the top of the fender to the ground.

Front Left 36.25"
Front Right 35.5"
Rear Left 37" (Just Under)
Rear Right 36.5"

The Medium springs state they are designed for 100kg extra up front and 200kg in the rear, which would explain why the rear is sitting higher (according to me). Everything I've read says a little extra height in the front is actually preffered so hopefully with some load in the rear the front will take over.

Now I've considered adjusting the rear/front pinion, getting a DC front shaft and converting the rear to u-joint... But then what If i get new bumpers (which I plan to do) now I'm sitting lower again.

I think the best plan for me is to try pony up the cash for the new bumpers ASAP and see if it brings the truck down enough to bring the driveline angles into spec. Then if not, I get to go on the driveline mission.

jdhuegel1. I know your setup is the same as mine. Would you mine measuring your ride height for me? I really don't understand why I'm getting all these issues with a simple 2" lift.. Ohh wait yes I do.. It's just the luck I have with vehicles.

Last edited by AuZZZie; 07-27-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Mudding

Next on my list it to measure the pinion angles (If I can work out how).. I want hard numbers before I just go buying every part I can after seeing so many guys saying "I've replaced everything and the vibration is still there"..

Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Pro Wrench

my mechanic put the front springs on the back and vice versa. the front was very high, even extreme. i didn't see it because when he was telling me i figured it out and told him to switch them. now the truck definitely sits higher in the back...a little hot roddish. I don't mind the look and for sure it should flatten a little when I put some weight in it. It's super light now...no soggy mats even. I'll do that same measurement for you this weekend. Stay strong. Mine isn't going great either.

Attached Thumbnails My 2" Lift install experience.-2011-07-20_09-06-22_674.jpg  

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 07-28-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by AuZZZie
jdhuegel1. I know your setup is the same as mine. Would you mine measuring your ride height for me? I really don't understand why I'm getting all these issues with a simple 2" lift.. Ohh wait yes I do.. It's just the luck I have with vehicles.
Where do you want the measurements to/from? I have 265/75/16 mud tires too..

Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Where do you want the measurements to/from? I have 265/75/16 mud tires too..
I have the exact same tire size.. I took my measurements from the ground to the bottom of the fender..

Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just installed the Terrafirma 2" kit with 275/65/16 Duratracs

BEFORE
Name:  before.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  107.8 KB

AFTER
Name:  after.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  116.8 KB

Now my steering wheel is cocked to the right - BUT the truck tracks perfectly straight. any thoughts as to how to fix this?
Name:  wheel.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  66.6 KB

Last edited by marshman442; 10-27-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marshman442
Now my steering wheel is cocked to the right - BUT the truck tracks perfectly straight. any thoughts as to how to fix this?

You have two options to fix that

1: get an adjustable panhard bar
2: adjust the drag link (rod from steering box to passenger side knuckle)

I would almost bet if you measure it your axle is slightly off to the drivers side now, its just the way a panhard rod suspension geometry is. Since you have a 2" lift you can get away with adjusting the drag link its easy to do if the ends arent rusted fast to the rod itself.

Quick Reply: My 2" Lift install experience.