Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My 2" Lift install experience.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the TF made my D1 pull a little too. I had it aligned immediately after the lift work. I already am not noticing it after driving a bit.

I have the same color D2 also...beer right? It looks great with the lift and new tires. I've been considering the TF 2" for the D2.

I think LongHaul is right about the adjustable panhard.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

How's the on road handling feel now? Also how's the road noise with those tires compared to before?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Pro Wrench

me...I don't think so but I'll tell you anyway??

I redid my suspension and steering at the the same time. It had a horrible sag, squeak and death wobble.

Everything new...box, bushings, springs, shocks, shafts. I also half tuned my engine and optimized my cooling system.

Now it rides better but different than new. Tight and bouncy. No rattling. Sits higher. Steers and corners tight. No offroad yet and haven't done my tires but it feels great.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Yeah YOU, and marshman too Really interested to see what marshman says about road noise with those tires.

How's the rock and roll when turning?
How about road trip comfort?

I'm looking for improved on-road, off-road, comfort, and stability performance! I know it's a tall order

Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Pro Wrench

Oh good.

It's no longer a smooth driving machine. It's more like a work truck now. It's tight. I like it. It doesn't roll..it's more springy. i think that just goes with these performance suspensions. I love my truck but family trips will be in the D2.

I'm looking for 245/75/16 AT's or MT's. BFG's or Firestone maybe.

How's yours running E?

Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Pro Wrench

HA. The first rule of my disco is you don't talk about my disco. The second rule is you don't talk about my DISCO. Paid too much, drove it for only two days, blew a headgasket, tore engine out, and now it's been sitting in the garage for a month, guts everywhere, tools/parts/labor costs through the roof, engine at machine shop. Thanks for reminding me

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Pro Wrench

the satisfaction you will have when that baby is running...i kinda knew your sitch...i was needlin' you....sorry. i feel for you.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're still having the vibration issue I would bet something in the geometry of the prop shafts is off. 2" doesnt sound like a lot but its enough to toy with things. I'd check to make sure both diffs are still centered and that the pinion angle is correct (to stock spec). You can pick up a pinion angle finder for pretty cheap, just sticks to the prop shaft and reads the angle. You can then go from there and install shims to adust the pinion angle back to where it should be. The adjustable panhard is a good idea, why its not included with the lift kit is a mystery as lifting something equipped with a centering device from the factory always throws things off if measures arent taken to correct the geometry after the lift. 2" over stock will allow the factory panhard bar to pull the diff just slightly to one side and keep it there. Not enough to see but certainly enough to feel.

On a side note if you can weld you can make your own adjustable panhard or simpy modify the stock one to fix the problem.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Drifting

I installed tf light duty springs, obtained from an outfit in great britain, no one state side had them, and cheaper than anyone else including shipping. Achieved 2" lift which I wanted on this stock D1 with standard 235x70's. The springs were marked PS and DS in black print about mid spring so there was no question about what side. The markings were not immediately obvious, I'll say that, and fortunately we happened to get them installed right before we noticed they were marked. Sometimes, rarely, you just get lucky. No drive line issues, steering wheel does now sit off to the right a bit. I adjusted drag link, but found that you can only adjust by full turns which over corrects. So, it's annoying but I live with a slight off center steering wheel. Maybe I could remove and reposition the wheel, but that means air bag work which I'm not going to tackle. Just read here about an adjustable panhard rod, may pursue that at some point.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:22 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Not sure what increment of adjustment is possible, but you might consider simply adjusting the crimp bolts at one of the U-joints in the steering column. Either #20 or #22 in this diagram.

The following users liked this post:
saintdel (01-20-2017)

Quick Reply: My 2" Lift install experience.