Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

my 98 disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 98 disco

i recently bought a 1998 disco le v8i and life was good, then a month went by and the check engine light came on. I found a P1496 code which was a "gross evap leak" "low sensor out put voltage" "5 volt supply output too low".....so I started to study. I came to the realization that it may be a bad ECM. I found a salvage on ebay that I was told could be re-programmed. My local rover dealership told me otherwise. If in fact it is the ECM can anyone tell me if it can be re-programmed or is the dealer telling the truth. I am a rover rookie and frustration is setting in.
HELP!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first things first, you cleared all the codes and they all came back right away?

its very unlikely that single code has 3 wildly different descriptions... what kind of tool were you using to check/clear the codes?

Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you will open up the link below to D1 ECM manual, in the GEMS ECU manual on page 27 that code is detailed, along with how it happens, etc. Basically the EVAP system can't get to a good vacuum in 25 seconds. Might just be a hose.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 98 disco

Guys,
thank you for your fast reply! I am a total idiot! I hit the panic button! I did not clear any codes and I used a hand held OBD unit to diagnose my problems. When the vehicle would not start I removed the emc too see if it got wet. I did not do that correctly. I left the battery hooked up! While doing this I found that the windshield res was in bad shape. The pump (i think) was destroyed by rust. Not to mention some of the mount screws were rusted. UGH!!! I am getting a new res and pump and hoses this weekend. I inspected the inside of the emc and it is clear and clean. The outside had a small amount of corrosion but nothing inside. I am gonna seal the emc unit with some silicone and re-install. Just at a loss right now. I hope I did not damage anything with my search.
Please dont give up on me. I am learning!
signed,
Stupid and frustrated!!