Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My first Disco project

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My first Disco project

Just picked up a 96 Disco with 130,000.I tested the block and it passed and the
owner had a good bit of the maintenance paper work.Still had some issues but I got it down to $1600.Today I got the engine clean and found all the leaks.
Front and rear main leaking a little,needs trans cooler lines,found that the abs
pressure reducer is leaking. I did manage to fix a power steering hose that was
leaking,replaced the lights on the shifter,changed the oil,flushed and filled the radiator and added water wetter, added a ultra gauge and gave the whole thing
a good scrub down.I will add some pics when I get a chance.I just wanted to thank this forum and mods for such a great resource.I will update the post
as soon as the parts start coming in.

Last edited by Scope; 12-02-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! Sounds like you've had a productive time with your truck so far!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks,I have a pretty big parts list in the mail.I have a feeling this project will be a Christmas gift to myself!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like that truck of yours found itself a good owner. It really does pay to be proactive about maintenance like you are.

Lets see some pictures! I forget what a fully assembled one looks like since mine has been apart so long

Old 12-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Mudding

Get ready, And remember, Work expands to fill the time allowed for it's completion..And your wallet...

Good Luck..

John

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Finished installing the pressure reducer tonight and no more brake fluid leaks.I am going to bleed them tomorrow and change the diff fluids and transfer case.I hope to be able
to take her out this weekend?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling

O.K.,
Today I changed the diff and transfer case fluid and did a brake bleed.The brakes still
feel a little soft.This is after a new master cylinder,reservoir, and pressure reducer.The brakes work but it sounds like air coming from the master cylinder.I guess I could have gotten a bad one.No codes are showing so I am not really sure what is happening.Any thoughts?This weekend I will change the transmission fluid and start replacing vacuum
hoses.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM
Drifting

If you have any pull at the base see if you can score a good length of surplus mooring line, you will need it at some point.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You have to bleed the master first. Have a copy of the Workshop Manual called the Rave? If not it's in the Tech Section. Master cylinder bleed process is in it. Check the rotor thickness too when you get a chance. If undersize your pushing the pistons even that much further, softer feel. Truck will stop ok but pedal feel is a whole lot better with fat rotors and fat pads on all four corners. It will take some time to get used to LR brakes. The harder you push the quicker you stop. Sounds stupid but it's not like a Toyota where you nudge them and it does a head stand.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the tips.Got to take out today for a bit and it seemed to improve(or perhaps
I got use to it)Tomorrow it will be a trans fluid change and some interior work.

Quick Reply: My first Disco project