Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My fuel pump...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010 | 09:40 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default My fuel pump...

after much consideration, I've decided I'm going to make the fuel pump set up in my 95 Disco 1 better... (this also means I haven't replaced my bad pump yet)

I've done it to about 100 motorcycle fuel pump assemblies and this set up is very similar.

I'll post pics and stuff when I actually do it.

I'm also a little leery of putting in a lower quality replacement, when for less money and a little work, I can make it, better, stronger, ummm, errrr, faster?

Old 06-25-2010 | 05:17 PM
Team Owner

You could put in a 1000GPM fuel pump but the fuel PSI regulator will still limit what actually get delivered.

However, please do a write up on how to replace the fuel pump without buying a whole new pump.
We need part numbers and pics. and pricing too.
And web sites if you bought online.

Old 07-07-2010 | 08:58 PM
|
Rock Crawling

I know that the fuel pressure regulator will regulate it down, but...

just got around tonight to getting out there, figured I'd have to drill out the screws that hold the cover on, exposing rusted out leaking connections, and cutting the lines hoping that my old trick of high pressure fuel line and crimp on clamps would do the trick...

but, what I found was, my #2 phillips did the trick on the cover, well, for all but one screw...

remove the cover, and there are the crusty lines, sure enough,

Picture the Windows Seven commercials where they hire actors to play the parts of "actual people" while reading this part
"well, dinner is ready so, I'll spray some 'Castle Thrust' penetrating oil on them, (it is ion activated after all)"

Ok, stop picturing those commercials now.

after dinner, I go outside to the truck, have a smoke and reflect...

After my reflection, I cleaned all the crap off the top of the pump, get my two 14mm open end wrenches out, and start working the compression fittings. THEY CAME LOOSE!!!

I rap the big ring with a crappy screwdriver and a hammer a few times, take it off, remove the pump, empty the pumps fuel into a suitable container, and by container, I mean my driveway.

now for the disassembly, pull the pump reservoir off, find the sock filter, and much to my dismay, it's impossibly clogged and starting to deteriorate.
so, I remove the sock filter completely, reassemble the pump, which as I failed to mention I could hear running ever so lightly when my wife cranked the truck over earlier, dunked the whole dernded thing back into the tank, hooked up the jumper pack and after thirty seconds of cranking she started and idled perfectly. She'd even rev up if I was gentle on the throttle.

I let her run, to circulate some oil, clean herself out etc. and I reflected...

She stopped running again, but, tomorrow, I'll take the pump to work, install one of the fuel pumps I've saved that puts out the same volume and pressure and update further after I've installed the pump and driven the truck.

Last edited by demonlarry; 07-07-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-08-2010 | 12:33 PM
Mudding

The fuel pump assembly is expensive, please post the part number of the pump itself so we can save a few $$ by just changing the pump.
Pictures of the process will earn you gratitude from us.

SD

Old 07-08-2010 | 02:16 PM
Baja
Old 07-08-2010 | 09:58 PM
|
Rock Crawling

now, I got it to start and run.

It runs for about 2-3 minutes, and runs strong, then I can hear it start to miss then she dies out.

Crank it for a minute or 2 and she'll start back up, same thing, runs strong for about 2-3 minutes, starts to miss then, dies...

the fuel pump is running. humming right along. while she's cranking it'll shoot fuel out of the engine compartment if you depress the schraeder valve on the the rail.

while running she'll do the same thing. if you depress the schraeder valve plenty of fuel.

But, after she stalls, no pressure and very little fuel at the valve.

I put my hand on the pressure regulator, I can feel it working. are there any tests for this?

Also I don't think it's the relay, as I can hear it click on and off during it's "prime" cycle, so that would lead me to believe that the ECM is ok too, as that is what supplies the "prime" cycle...

I am using a Walbro pump.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Just went out and checked the fuel cap, no vacuum... should I try pinching off the return line to check the regulator?

Thanks again!

Oh, and they don't show the same fuel system that I have in the Rave Manual... my fuel pump relay is somewhere in the cab, under the glovebox?

Does anyone know where the relay may be in a 95 Disco 1?

Last edited by demonlarry; 07-08-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: new info
Old 07-09-2010 | 07:09 AM
Baja

Well, you removed the sock filter from the end of the pump. They are there for a reason. The new pump is probably getting fouled from crud in the tank.
Obviously there is crud in the tank since the filter you removed was clogged. I can't imagine why you think running without one would be a good thing.

Old 07-09-2010 | 07:43 AM
|
Rock Crawling

new fuel pump, new strainer. I may have forgotten to mention that.

Old 07-09-2010 | 02:06 PM
Winching

the pressure reg is a vacuum operated bypass, with vacuum, it pulls the bypass open to relieve excess pressure on fuel rail.

if you remove the vacuum line, it should keep the pressure maxed.

I'd like to see the psi on the rail as it's dying with the vacuum disconnected.
(if that happens)

Wife's tire gauge?

When you re-inserted the old pump w/o the "sock" it may have thrown poo-poo into the filter (have you replaced filter?) (have you removed to see said poo?)

Same poo will probably settle in the filter each time the engine dies, allowing re-start then re-plug

just some thoughts.

luck,greg

Old 07-09-2010 | 09:12 PM

Rovers North sells an excellent new complete Pro-Line fuel Pmp Assembly for $105 for the Pre AEL DI which a 95 definitely is. My "early " 97 manufactured in calendt year 96 is also.

The new assembly is much better and easier than fooling it redoing an old one.

Quick Reply: My fuel pump...