Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

My green oval is making me feel like I have the blue oval blues

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My green oval is making me feel like I have the blue oval blues

So let me start off by telling you I have a 1997discovery se with 122k I have done the transmission filter about 5 days ago and at first it was awesome but today I was driving on the freeway going 60 and the transmission slipped out of gear I feathered the gas for two exits while it was slipping in and out of gear when I got off it shifted fine in all gears until it got to 52 when the torque converter locks up I put her in 3 and got her home..I work nights so I have my wifes car and Im at work in the control room of a target sick about my rover should I take her in to a transmission shop or is there something like a solenoid or pump I can replace before I turn my baby over to a sheister transmission guy whos gonna charge me im guessing in the $2500 range( wich by the way for that price give me a T-56 and we will call it a day) .......anyways anyones input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd be tempted to drain the fluid that is in there, and refill to proper level. May have to do this two times. The torque converter contains fluid you did not drain out, and now they are mixed together. A couple of more drain and refill cycles will reduce the quantity of old fluid in the system.

Lucas makes a tranny "fix" fluid, which can extend the life in some cases. Has worked for me in a variety of vehicles. And Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx is another product that is popular.

And you can shop for tranny shops.

Not to mention that with your filter replacement - the O rings or pickup may have come apart. So opening that back up would be a first start. Actually, drain will be first task, if no small parts come out, "feeling" with a bent wire for parts laying in the bottom of the pan may point to something. See attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 tran filter.pdf (702.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-25-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you put the o-ring on the filter back? Did you use the new o-ring and did you remove the old one?

Is it at the proper fluid level?
These ZF transmissions are bullet proof as long as it is serviced properly.
You used Dexron III right? And not the full synthetic version right? You did not add any magic in a bottle yet have you?

Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would drop the pan and double check everything Spike mentioned.

Pick-up tube and o-ring and all that. Wouldn't hurt to check it out first yourself.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 AM
4wd Low

Update I checked the filter and o ring and pick up everything looked good and there was no chunks or metal fragments and the fluid was relatively clean so I dropped it off this morning at a transmission shop ill let you know what the guys says im very nervous and I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on aamco with their 10 year unlimited warranty on the tranny..I have the truck at a local indie shop but im not sure about what kinda warranty they give Im wondering if I should get a quote from aamco for the tranny ? anyone? Also how hard is it to drop the tranny does anyone know what all data says the hours in labor should be I was able to get the pan off and on in about an hour wich I think was because I did the job a couple days before but Im not sure the removal and installation is something Im capable of

Last edited by mouzetangkilla28; 07-27-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Having had the displeasure of working for a guy who had been the regional manager for Aamco tranny, I would not think it will be a bargain. My understanding was that their raw cost on repair parts and labor was about the same from one unit to another, but they charged 4 times normal price on "luxury" import vehicles. You'ld also want to look at the warranty fine print. IMHO local indy is the way to go, if you don't feel comfortable swapping out a tranny from the u-pull junk yard or a dismantler. Most Discos end up in the junkyard from engine overheat issues. Several of the D2s in my area in the yard all have "frozen" AC condenser fans, just turns up the heat, etc. If going DIY you can rent a tranny jack.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:29 PM
4wd Low

So the local indie mechanic gave me a quote for 2500 to swap the tranny with a used one with 100k on it 2500 for a rebuild from aamco and I found a used transmission with 87k for 330 and to install would be 1000 now I called the local rover indie mechanic brittish northwest ltd who has horrible reviews on google and he told me that it might not be the tranny it could be the tranny cooler since the transmiision works fine until you drive it about 60 miles and than it starts acting up so I'm still undecided how can I know for sure I should raplace the tranny I took the filter that I had taken out and showed it to the mechanic who said he would install the tranny for 1000 and he pointed out there was fine metal in the screen and he said that looks like it came from the clutch disks is that right?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

If the original fluid that came out looked like it was dark, that would be fine particles of clutch disk suspended in the fluid. If burnt will smell like a coffee pot left on that boiled dry.

The D1 has the tranny cooler on the driver side of the radiator. You could at the cost of two O-rings remove the two O rings and flush the cooler. I had one 95% restricted on the engine oil side once, so I guess it could happen. The towel bar in front of the radiator is a smaller tranny cooler, they are plumbed in series. If you need something to pump thru it use tranny fluid and a cheap garden sprayer. Use new O rings to put it back. Maybe 100 - 150 psi in there. See attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 rad view.pdf (847.5 KB, 119 views)
Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go buy a after market trans oil cooler, about $50.
Install it.
See if the problem continues.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:20 AM
4wd Low

So update $1537 dollars later I bought a tranny with 87k from a wrecking yard and then paid a mechanic to install it and today I picked up the truck and it was shuddering as i got on the freeway and there is an exhaust leak on the passenger side needless to say Im Furious! does anyone know what kinda of recourse I have in WA sate? Part of me wants to take it back the other part doesnt want to let anyone touch my rover I still have the core part of me is wondering if they messed something up because they charged me extra cause the wrecking yard i got the tranny from cut the kickdown cable and they said they had to disassemble the pump or something?? is that right!?any feed back is appreciated

Quick Reply: My green oval is making me feel like I have the blue oval blues