Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

my tick....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Didn't read all 10 pages of this thread but there are a couple of things besides
oil pressure and lifters that cause ticks and knocks on the disco 1

First the rocker arm/pushrod cups....

Second the camshaft knocking that can also kind of sound like a tick....

Glad you didnt read the 10 pages...most of it is my nonsense. But, I am about to rule out oil and pressure by doing a little sludge clean, going to the 20/50 and insuring my pressure is ok. if it ticks after that which I fully expect it will I will probably leave it for some months until I get some other stuff together.

Seems like I have to go camshaft/rocker overhaul if I'm messing with any rocker arms....or pushrod cups? Thanks for your pointers here and while we're messing with the cleaning bit I'll try the screw driver investigation you suggest.

I understand much of what you're saying and it reinforces that we need to diagnose this properly before this overhaul is started. I'll bring this stuff up again after I do the oil bit.

And I'll go with the RightStuff alone without the gasket and try that. I'm curious what the indie used previously. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
i didnt think the cause was really a mystery once one actually dives into the engine?...
it only seems like its mystifying to those who havent done their valve train repairs yet...

Im happy to fall under that umbrella, I have no desire to sink $1k in to a $5k truck, so unless there is a miracle cure I say tick away!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slang said ....

we don't need no stinkin badges....

i was shocked today when the cop called me by my name. that's not good.

__________________________________________________ ___________

slang, from my expirience in PR , thier is nothing a $50 bill wont take care of !!

Back to the tick, mine just started this up after the kids dumped in a tank of 87. Thought it might be the gas as my Infiniti is hyper sensitive to low budget gas. Seems like its coming apart when you step on it with 87, purrs like a kitten with 93. I bought a bottle of octane boost ( not cheap ) and have since topped it off from the 1/4 full mark with 93. Its still doing it , though not as loudly. Getting such terrible gas mileage it wont be long until i can tear thru a tank or two to see if that was the difference. I paid $1000 bucks for this crapper and need about 2 more years to get the final boys thru high school and on thier way. Then I look forward to posting " Parting 94 Disco" !!

Gonna try the Mystery oil and see what gives.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Pro Wrench

yeah BOX way to keep this thread alive.

thing with PR is you just never no.......they may take the $50, ask for some more or beat you and leave you in the alley. just don't know.

funny enough i saw that cop today. he helped me with a "domestic dispute" between my renters...so he might just be a friend.

MMO did nothing for me.
In my opinion my switch to 20/50 coming up won't do much either. just too easy.
The real unknown is my oil pressure which I'm curious to see.

My front cover/timing chain replacement and switch to rotella from mobil all happened very close to the tick appearing so those things will forever linger in my head.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
yeah BOX way to keep this thread alive.

thing with PR is you just never no.......they may take the $50, ask for some more or beat you and leave you in the alley. just don't know.

funny enough i saw that cop today. he helped me with a "domestic dispute" between my renters...so he might just be a friend.

MMO did nothing for me.
In my opinion my switch to 20/50 coming up won't do much either. just too easy.
The real unknown is my oil pressure which I'm curious to see.

My front cover/timing chain replacement and switch to rotella from mobil all happened very close to the tick appearing so those things will forever linger in my head.

You want to be respectful to him and hopefully he may be an advantage one of these days. My DIL and I had a heated exchange after one of the kids busted my Sony Explode to pieces and next thing I knew there were three cruisers and a shift supervisor in my driveway! Luckily no one was locked up!

That 20/50 may surprise you Slang, it helped my old 283 Chevy van keep running a long time.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-03-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Pro Wrench

gonna do my 20/50 change any second now...

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 07-14-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

so did the oil change help?

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-12-2016)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:35 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have the same tick

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
.....sure sounds like ColoDiscos tick. didn't want to jack his thread so I'm throwing it out here. so new camshaft?

sounds great cold (never mind the duck):

_ON START UP.3gp - YouTube

ticks after it warms up.

_RUNNING +165.3gp - YouTube

other info..um i'm still getting 1313 on the ultragauge after plugs/wires/maf/tb clean/rotella/big filter.
My 97 D1 316K has same exact ticking noise, what did you find? What was your fix? Thanks

Old 02-21-2021, 10:43 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same ticking?

Originally Posted by boxsterrs60
My 97 D1 316K has same exact ticking noise, what did you find? What was your fix? Thanks
I used a stethoscope to isolate the noises to #2 cylinder rocker arm, also noise at the front cover where the oil pump and chain are housed. Thinking to replacing those parts but reading the replies and the my mileage it it’s probably cam bearing and main bearing. Your thoughts are appreciated.