Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Nav and Media Player install help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav and Media Player install help?

I have a 1997 LR Disco 1 SD. The young man who owned it before me must have had a grudge with the stereo as he removed the old one with much prejudice. The plastic surround for the stereo, vents and AC controls is broken off the top. While I rebuild this and install a 7" fold out DVD/Nav system I was wondering. The D2 and the D1 are hugely similar. Right down the the same size surrounds for stereo and such.... and hence my question. Is the controls and brain for the climate control in the D2 inside the control box? In short.... could I put the digital climate control in my D1? As a side note.... can someone send me pics of what the step by step is to remove the dash parts ans where they attach so I can possibly rebuild this dash correctly? Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Haldier
1997 D1
new heads and up 6 months ago
new Stearing Gear box 2 weeks ago
2" lift on order

Old 02-10-2014, 10:30 PM
4th Gear

I should also add, he broke the mounting tabs that are above the face of the radio for the surround for the stereo and AC... Any repairs for this?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

The steps for removing...

1) pull out the switch plate on the left and ashtray on the right.

2) behind each are three screws, remove all 6 and pull out center cup holder assembly.

3) use 2 putty knifes and wedge above clock and below. There are 2 tabs on the top and 2 on the bottom. You are trying to release these tabs to pull the clock hazard assembly out. The tabs are at the far edges of the clock assembly, you might have to put the knives in at an angle. Pull out, repeat for coin holder on opposite side.

4) there is a screw directly behind each of these, unscrew them.

5) pull off three climate control dials. Pull off blower control tab. Thrre is, I believe one screw that holds the climate control face plate. Remove plate. There are now 4 screws around the perimeter of the plate, remove.

6) behind stereo lower face plate there is 1 or 2 screws, remove. Now there are two scews(at upward angle) at the top of the stereo position, remove them(maybe these are the 2 that you said the mounting tabs are broken?)

7) pull off complete assembly. There are 2 snap connections at the vents for the position lever, they will release.

You should be able to remove it all now.

I have a center console assembly I could sell. Also I can try and break off those mounting tabs as far back as possible on my parts car and you can try and epoxy them on. Not quite sure what you are talking about as all of this is from memory.

PM with your number and I can walk you through it.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the walk through! I'm still left with the question of D2 Climate Control in a D1. Is there any way to do this?

While were at it, does anyone know if someone has wired D2 Seat Controls into a D1 either?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM
Baja

I am a D1 owner, but have tinkered on a few D2s. With that being said I am sure that "it is possible" to use D2 climate controls. If memory serves me right, D2 uses electronic controls while D1 uses mechanical cable driven controls, tough.

As for seat switches I am sure that "it is possible" (and probably more probable than the climate control).

But all of this has me asking the question why, When there is so much maintenance, repairs, and care that could/needs to be administered to your truck.

Is it worth? Let us know when you're done with the conversion...

Or buy a D2?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 PM
4th Gear

So here's the thing. The D1 has a stouter drive train. And a lot of those are also interchangeable with the defender. I'm not sure about the interchangeability of the D2 but I'm already into this project 3200 for a freshly rebuilt motor. There's also some mild personal attachment to it. The electrical adapting comes fairly easily to me. I just wanted to know before I commit to parts that are not normally on my truck if there would be any surprises under the dash.... Like electrical controls for temp and ac/heat vent control etc. I don't mind a little extra work if the project is even a little mildly reasonable.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Baja

Makes sense.

I've exhausted my knowledge on the subject.

Good luck and keep us posted, sounds interesting.