Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need to change the wheel bearing, But...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011 | 12:07 PM
|
Drifting

Does anyone know of a place in san diego that will do it for less then $200? ive got 8 more days to fix it..

Old 03-09-2011 | 12:25 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Originally Posted by freakycorpse
what do the drive member gaskets do?
They keep stuff from leaking out.
Every time I read this I bust out laughing.

Old 03-09-2011 | 02:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Does anyone know of a place in san diego that will do it for less then $200? ive got 8 more days to fix it..
The parts itself will cost around there..not including labor. Be like Nike, and JUST DO IT!

Old 03-09-2011 | 05:59 PM

Surely you jest. Locally the vo/tech school automotive classes had an article in the paper that they do repairs for the cost of parts only. You don't pay for labor because the students are performing the work under the supervision of the instructor. The article I saw was geared toward senior citizens but some do similar programs, you could look into that.

But really, if doing the wheel bearings is too much for you to handle, you obviously purchased the wrong vehicle for yourself. If you cannot maintain it yourself, an older Discovery can be very expensive very quickly and then right after you fix one thing (or usually during that attempted repair) some other devastating problem will be Discovered. (That is how it got the name Discovery). I renamed mine Recovery. Of course after a while, you have worked your way totally thru the vehicle and then they are a real pleasure because you have become intimately familar with it and yourself on a much deeper level.

As far as the gaskets keeping stuff from leaking out, I was only half right. They also help stuff like water from leaking in as well. If you can't laugh about it, then you will really have a miserable day.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-10-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2011 | 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
Every time I read this I bust out laughing.
Hell that is straight out of The Redneck Mechanic's Handbook and Guide to Better BarBQueing.

If you wonder whether you really need that fifty cent gasket for that two hundred repair job, you might be a RedNeck Mechanic. Just use duct tape over it after you get it back together. And maybe some chaw to plug that leak.

Old 03-09-2011 | 06:35 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Surely you jest. Locally the vo/tech school automotive classes had an article in the paper that they do repairs for the cost of parts only. You don't pay for labor because the students are performing the work under the supervision of the instructor. The article I saw was geared toward senior citizens but some do similar programs, you could look into that.

But really, if doing the wheel bearings is too much for you to handle, you obviously purchased the wrong vehicle for yourself. If you cannot maintain it yourself, an older Discovery can be very expensive very quickly and then right after you fix one thing (or usually during that attempted repair) so other devastating problem will be Discovered. (That is how it got the name Discovery). I renamed mine Recovery.

As far as the gaskets keeping stuff from leaking out, I was only half right. They also help stuff like water from leaking in as well. If you can't laugh about it, then you will really have a miserable day.
I laugh because it is something I would say to someone...and yes, getting your wheel bearings done for $200 is only possible if your brother is a mechanic and lives near you.

Old 03-09-2011 | 09:59 PM
Pro Wrench

I feel bad now, instead of telling the guy where the magic free mechanic genie is we just yelled at him and told him to do it

Old 03-09-2011 | 10:16 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by calebbo
I feel bad now, instead of telling the guy where the magic free mechanic genie is we just yelled at him and told him to do it

Like those State Farm commercials

Old 03-09-2011 | 10:20 PM
Pro Wrench

Like a good neighbor state farm is there..replacing my wheel bearings for less than $200!
*POOF*

Freakycorpse =

Old 03-09-2011 | 11:24 PM

Sounds like another case of "Oh no, I thought Land Rovers were supposed to be really cool cars, No way can I afford to keep this damn thing"

And redoing the wheel bearings is just the tip of the iceburg.

Quick Reply: Need to change the wheel bearing, But...