Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need Help with 96 Disco, Will only go while Diff is in lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Yes, the CDL works, but that doesn't mean the center diff works when unlocked. I'm pretty sure if the cross pins were sheared the truck would only move with the CDL locked.
Of course, it's more likely a problem in the the front axle as mentioned.
point taken, but like you said, it sounds as though the obvious would be the "swivel joint" that someone told them was bad. can you put the stub axle together without a cv joint in it, and the wheel not fly off?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, that's an advantage on the D1's. You can pull a half shaft and still drive it.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I m going to have to fiqure out a way to upload the photo of the "swivel joint" for my 96 that I took today. From what I can tell this piece seems to replace everything back to the front axle. If I was to take the wheel off I would have to take the tie rod end off and take the bolts out of the flange that connects to the axle and the "swivel joint" seems to be one piece that replaces everything back from there? I know that may sound crazy but I will find a url that I can upload the photo to so that I can post it.
And to everyone so far thanks for all the Sites nd videos that you all have attached. Thay all have been helpful.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Swivel Joint"

Need Help with 96 Disco, Will only go while Diff is in lock-swivel_joint.jpg
This is what I was told is the Swivel Joint

Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96LRD1
Attachment 3775
This is what I was told is the Swivel Joint

Yes thats a swivel ball but that wouldnt have anything to do with it not moving. Its probably the cv joint thats inside that thats bad. You need to take the 6 bolts off of the outside/rotor side to gain access to it.

Last edited by Long Haul; 01-24-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Allow me to clarify my statements about the CDL and Hi/Low. It was apparent our new friend did not have any unders6tanding of the Discovery four wheel drive system. I was merely trying to provide a very basic understanding of it being permanent 4 wheel Drive with a two speed transfwer case and the ability to lock and unlock the Center Differential. It was by no means an attempt to provide an analysis of his problem. I do agree with all of you that he has some damage somewhere in that front driveline.

Good luck with your repairs. Also while you have it in the barn, you should change all fluids, filters, and I would also change the plugs and wires if they are not fresh.

Let us know what you find. Also keep in mind that taking pics as you go may be very helpful in the re-assembly process.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to search the forum for the rave manual, some members have a link to it in their signatures. it is a PDF version of the land rover workshop manual, it will have all the diagrams you need to see what you have and are missing. or google land rover rave manual. I have the haynes manual also for the truck, you will have to order it but its well worth the $30.