Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need some help, and fear for the worst !

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need some help, and fear for the worst !

Hey all, im thinking i have a fairly severe problem here, and need ya'lls experience and Opinions here if ya could.

First off i think i have 2 problems occuring at once. I'm getting some shimmy coming out of corners. I do realize my tie rod ends are shot and are on order, but im feeling something else as well, hard to explain, but under uneven terrain The rover feels as if the shock mount is loose, ive checked but looks good.. Gettin the im lose bump rattle from up there somewhere.. can feel it thru my feet as well.

Secondly im getting a tunk..not a tick or a thunk but a tunk. Sounds like im lightly hitting something with a hammer. I'ts most prevalent at lower speeds, 10 to 15 miles an hour, and slowly speeds up as i speed up. Its hard to place since i can only hear it during driving..But its VERY loud to me, and ive noticed people lookin at the rover, so it must be fairly noticeable.

I haven't done any preliminary diagnostics on the beast, since i seem to be workin from dawn to dusk, But am going to go over it in detail this weekend.

What i have done to her since i've gotten her, is your standard maintenance. Plugs, wires, airfilter, lube all the way round, checked brakes tires, filled transfer case, Diff's and front end swivel's. Replaced high side powersteering hose, new belt, Checked U joints, and undercarriage For damage or Telltale signs of " i need replacement" Everything looked good. This noise has come on quickly and suddenly, within 3 days, and seems to be rapidly turning into something baaad. So gonna park her till this weekend and catch rides to work.

What im fishing for here is anyone who has a similar problem and might no whats up. Its definitely in the running gear just not sure where. How often to the constant velocity shaft's go out..could this be the culprit ?

Hope to see allot of activity on this, because i just cant afford to take her to the shop

thanks in advance
JT

Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Check your control arm bushings, sounds like one of them are shot, Either on the axle or where they bolt to the frame.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Also check your sway bar bushings. they tend to make weird noises when they go bad

Old 09-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Long Haul
Check your control arm bushings, sounds like one of them are shot, Either on the axle or where they bolt to the frame.
im going with this. I bet you can tighten the radius arm or trailing arm bolts and find one loose, your knock may go away for a day or three

Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LRadventure

Secondly im getting a tunk..not a tick or a thunk but a tunk. Sounds like im lightly hitting something with a hammer. I'ts most prevalent at lower speeds, 10 to 15 miles an hour, and slowly speeds up as i speed up. Its hard to place since i can only hear it during driving..But its VERY loud to me, and ive noticed people lookin at the rover, so it must be fairly noticeable.
This id guess was a drive shaft. Cant figure out which one it is. Remove the front drive shaft and lock transfer case, and drive around.

Still there? Remove Rear drive shaft and replace front.

Still there? Then it aint a u-joint.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Easiest way to diagnose is to have someone drive it while you listen. You have an advantage that it is happening at low speeds. Slow circles in a parking lot will do wonders.

I will guess that you have a CV going out and a swivel ball that is shot. You are right in not driving it until you see..

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Three Wheeling

ok so i lifted her up today, rechecked all fluids, good, lifted all four tires of the ground, rotating each individually, couldn't recreate the sound, checked driveline and ujoints, all look good no significant movement, but there was a terrible lot of play in the front diff, chipped or missing tooth on the ring gear, Was thinkin CV but when i turn it doesn't sound off at all, wich is usually standard for most vehicles.. Cant lock my transfer case yet, that was on the to do list, ALL my bushings need to be replaced on the undercarriage , Also balljoints, looking into pricing atm, might have to get me a second job lol, oh well i love the beast, Let me know your opinions and whatnot !!
thanks in advance
JT

Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everything suggested so far are all legitimate places for loud noises like yours to pop up. As for the driveshaft, just because it doesn't have play when you move it around doesn't mean they aren't bad. Mine were shot and had no play at all. It wasn't till I pulled them that I noticed some bad needle bearings and some scoring on the inside. They were pretty tight too when I moved them around after I pulled the DS. Just thought I would throw that out there. That being said if people are looking because of the noise it is probably something else in my opinion. I have never heard a DS that was loud enough when binding to draw attention. If it was, your t-case and tranny would probably self destruct lol.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
im going with this. I bet you can tighten the radius arm or trailing arm bolts and find one loose, your knock may go away for a day or three
I agree, the radius arms came loose on the wifes D1. I finally gave up trying to figure out what it was because all the bushings looked good and there was NO play when I had it on the lift taking the bar to it. I finally just started checking torque on fasteners in hope of getting lucky. They weren't too loose but enough that the re-torque solved the clunk she was hearing.