Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Never again

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Tom told me Amazon was cheaper and that price proves it. When these things get old they get slow (like us) but they don't pop a CEL. I'm waiting to hear your MPG results Spike, mine are due. My favorite thing in the world is trying to remove the tab on those damn connectors with one hand while balancing on a bucket......

Danny Lee, tire step; Amazon.com: Heininger 4040 HitchMate TireStep: Automotive.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm going to be a hour from you Scout, I'll be in ******* today.
One of my favorite wheeling places is the Aerial Gunnery Range 10 miles east of I-75, take the Waters exit and go east until the road turns to gravel, keep going another mile or so and you will see the trail, follow the fence.
18 miles of sand, mud, ruts, big hills, water...you name it its there.
I will not have time to wheel today though.
Today *******, tomorrow Brighton.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scout: That tire step looks pretty handy if it is wide enough for my size 15 feet. I am a Big Ole Boy as well as a Good Ole Boy. I was envisioning one the whole length of the hood for the jobs that take more than a few minutes. One of my college roommates had an International Scout, the classic two tone red and white. Have you seen those new International Flatbed Work Trucks with the Crew Cabs, talk about a badass truck, that is one monster.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Spikey, I know the spot. Any of the Range Complexes in Grayling are a ton of fun and tough even for our HMMWV's. I spend one weekend a month there and after an 8 hour day it's where I let out my wallet and break expensive parts with a couple of die hard buddies. Twisted Trails is another that would blow your mind. Twisted Trails Off Road Park They have bunny hills for novice/unmodified trucks and even they can be a challenge. Lot's of power line trails, natural gas pipeline trails up here that lead to the most incredible obstacles and views. I can go through a tank of gas in 5 hours, no sweat. My Disco was a basket case when I bought it. El cheapo fixes have made it one of the most reliable Disco's around up here. I'm known all over town. Even the one foreign auto shop up here can't believe my truck's never been to their shop. I stop in whenever they have a decent MG for sale.

Danny Lee, a 15" foot officially makes you a Sasquatch. I saw many different makes when I posted the link last night. I was thinking maybe two, one back and one on front wheel and then laying a board across. No, I haven't seen the new trucks but I will now. I've been an owner and fan since 90. I bought a 1962 Scout 80. Then I snagged a 67 Scout 800/B with a 266 V8 and Dana 44's. International trucks are the most interesting, uncommon not to mention ugly and their blocks are the highest nickel content making them the most heavy and durable of any company. I could rattle on and on about old IH's......

Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you don't have any MPG numbers yet, but did it fix your slight idle miss/roughness?

My idle is still a little rough for my liking and my O2 sensors are about the only thing I haven't changed so far. Sounds like a real party of a job though. Looking forward to it.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine ran like a top, passed emissions beautifully, and went from 14-16mpg here in Colorado. Work is at 5280' and my house is at 9400' so it's a lot of elevation driving.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah buying shoes is a real treat. I think some square tubing coming out from the frame sort of like the rear bumper hitch piece would work well enough then plug a small platform into that. Would want one on each side and maybe even in front.

The old Dusenburg I think it was had some neat trick that you could change a tire without really having to jack it up.

Those early Scouts were pretty crude as far as trying to go off road weren't they. My roommate hated his. he constantly swore at it. I like the early Jeepster Commando and the early Bronco. I had a full size Broco XLT with a 351 in it, but those pushbitton hubs sucked and I just used it for long distance winter commuting as a consultant. I ran it to death putting a thousand or so miles on it a week, travleing from Pittsburgh across Ohio and back weekly. It ate up front tires and automatic locking hubs like they were candy. When it rusted out really bad in less than 3 years, I had to ditch it for a Benz 420 SEL. That was an awesome Road Car.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Team Owner

Ok, so here is the break down of day one.

Pulling a 1250lbs empty U-Haul trailer at 65, a/c on and a 25mph head wind and lots of hills I got 10.98 mpg.
Coming back loaded, kayak on the roof and the trailer loaded, a/c on and running the truck in 3rd gear for 25 miles because I was headed due west and the wind was now 30 mph coming out of the WNW and cruise once again set at 65 I got 10.43mpg.
Total miles today was 362.
Drove for 3 hours up, a hour later we were back on the road, 3 hours back.
And for the first time in 4.5 years I wish I had more power, that head wind was a PAI!!!

Name:  e77c224d.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  f19b161a.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  d128ab40.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  164.2 KB

Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Team Owner

Scout I have prob seen you around town then, my wife is from TC and her sister and parents still live there.
I'm the same way, Disco on a Budget man!!
People laugh and complain about some of my repairs, but look at my truck, where it has been, where it will go, how many miles are on it...how do you think they keep these things going in 3rd world countries?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Team Owner

Day 2 completed, 250 miles round trip.
Drove there empty, a/c on, cruise at 65.
Drove back loaded, a/c on, cruise at 65.
Got 11.40mpg today.
Did the whole trip on one tank of fuel.

Quick Reply: Never again