Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.

I've read countless tire threads, but each situation is different. So if you don't mind giving input I'd appreciate it.

It looks like i've got a OME Med suspension kit coming, nitro shocks and 2" springs w/ damper. It's a used set, so hopefully everything is as stated and its a great kit for me for many years to come. So next step, TIRES!

I've heard many good things about 2" kits with 245/75's and i've seen them paired and they look good, almost meant to be. (treadwright axiom's, warden's, or puma's)
I also like the old school Rover look with skinny tires, so i'm liking the 235/85's as well. (which would be TreadWright Axioms)

Question is, with this OME 2" Med kit, can I fit the 32" tire and still stuff them? Will I need to do any adjustments? Bump stops, camel cut?

Any and all input is appreciated, even unhelpful comments are welcomed.
P.S. For either size I'm going TreadWright, just want to decide size first

-DIIB

Old 05-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's another question to consider. Of you're getting five tires and not four. At what point do you need the spare tire carrier offset to carry the bigger tire? 265/75?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Everything I've read said you'll be fine rocking 245/75 and a 2" lift. But what do I know. Im tire shopping too.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never even heard of TreadWright, who makes them?

The taller skinny ones are what you find on series and most military types and so forth.

A lot depends on your actual needs as well, Highway driving versus off-road, very few do great on both.

Also the ply rating. sidewall stiffness, load that you plan to carry, terrain that you will be driving on. You need to evaluate all that and make your best choice for your individual needs.

What price have you found them at?

My Bridgestones still look almost new. I like Michelins for their long wear. They were original equipment on most Discoveries as our spares show. There are so many brands and variations on the market, it is a hard choice to make.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Treadwright is the brand. They're retreads. Brandon. Here's a helpful link for stock suspension I believe.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/jbarge/tires.html

Old 05-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To address Danny's very good points and questions...
TreadWright is a brand of retreads. Have only heard great things about their tires and their prices force their consideration in my situation. ($550ish shipped for 5 tires)

Currently my D1 is my DD, but I only drive about 20 to 75 miles a week (work at home mostly). I don't off-road much, but I'm looking to more and more. My ride is mostly stock and won't be weighed down with bumpers and racks, etc.
I live in sandy central FL, and don't plan on much "muddin" just trails and getting anywhere I want to go!

So in conclusion, I'm just looking for a better looking tire (A/T) that will fill a 2" lift in size and work well with my lift to get me most places off-road. Not much for rock crawling around here.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ome hd 2.5" lift + 1" spacer

255/85 bottomed out once. 235/85 are perfect

Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIIB, I already showed you pictures of stuffing a 32" tire with no trimming, will a video help? These are 265/75s which are the same height but considerably wider. You should have no rubbing problems with a 235, and if you do it will be very minor and fixable.

The only lift on this is the OME HD springs. I could probably stuff them farther if I disconnected the sway bar:

YouTube - 1996 Land Rover Discovery Rock Crawling

I know you said not much for rock crawling in your area, this is just meant to show that you'll still be able to stuff the tire. I was at pretty much full stuff on the right rear tire from 2:12 on in that video.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-07-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS, I can vouch for Treadwrights, I had their Warden tire (aka BFG TA/KO) on my old F150, and it was great in pretty much all conditions. Excellent tread wear as well, they looked new for as long as I owned the truck.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So goat, you've got 265/75's with a 2" lift and no trimming? That's pretty sweet. I'm go na go 265/75 soon I think. Did you have to adjust your steering stops?

Quick Reply: Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.