Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thehun
265/75/16 TreadWrights..is what i roll with..they grab on rocks really darn well....i love them......i got 2" but I trimmed and rolled the fenders to be sure
Meh, I got sick of 265s. I don't need that much weight or rolling resistance.

You have to adjust steering stops if your at 2" lift and 32"....if I were to do it again...id go with 235's but the extra width is nice on rocks
Is that true for all 32s? For some reason I was under the impression 235s wouldn't rub at all on turns. Also, having wheeled with tires ranging from as narrow as 205 to as wide as 285 in various rigs, I wouldn't say the extra width helps much at all, even on rocks. Unless you're talking huge rocks and then you generally need 35"+ tires anyway. I think the wide-tire thing it's excellent marketing, you just end up paying for more tire to accomplish the same task.

I have all my sways removed...no problems with 3K miles...i would never ever go off road with swaybars on..thats asking for it...but it really depends how hardcore you get
What are you suggesting would happen by leaving them on? I've never had problems with them on (besides occasionally lifting a wheel) and I don't consider myself a very conservative off-roader. I'll be making a quick-release for the rear before long, but for such a tall rig I would never drive on-road with the swaybars off. That just screams liability...

Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the 245 75 16 BFG MT KM2. They are amazing and on a stock suspension have only a little rub on the front trailing arms and on the rear quarter panels. I am running stock suspension.

I have only read one bad thing about the treadwrights and that was on a Toyota
fj80. The thread can be found here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=56847

The train of thought is the tread was heated up too much in the desert and combined with low tire pressure it may have caused a failure.

I think treadwrights are good tires. But the BFG are great tires, because of that I am sticking with them.

Last edited by ColoDisco; 05-10-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Winching

Yeah, one of my wheeling buddies drives an FJ80, he said that's actually one of his friends. He was freaking out about that story and it's actually the reason he quit buying Treadwrights. I would (and will) continue to buy them whenever they have a tread pattern that suits my needs in the size I need. If they offered the BFG KM-1 look-alike or even the Goodyear MTR look-alike in 235/85, I'd have a set already. Since they don't, I'm saving up for new BFGs and as you can see already put one on as my spare.

I will say this, any tire can fail. I believe that story to be true but a bit of a fluke, based on the overwhelming number of positive reviews I've read.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

32" is 32" either way you look at it.....its the height that causes rubbing on the trailing arms...not so much the width...you will rub with 235's as well..just not as soon as 265's

Rolling resistance..there is not much weight difference between 235 or 265 to make a difference in these rides. i still get the same 13.5-14 mpg as i did with the factory wheels/tires

Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
Yeah, one of my wheeling buddies drives an FJ80, he said that's actually one of his friends. He was freaking out about that story and it's actually the reason he quit buying Treadwrights. I would (and will) continue to buy them whenever they have a tread pattern that suits my needs in the size I need. If they offered the BFG KM-1 look-alike or even the Goodyear MTR look-alike in 235/85, I'd have a set already. Since they don't, I'm saving up for new BFGs and as you can see already put one on as my spare.

I will say this, any tire can fail. I believe that story to be true but a bit of a fluke, based on the overwhelming number of positive reviews I've read.
Yep any tire can fail..thats why i check my tires every time i air down and air up.

I have about 10 off road trips air down to 15-20psi on my treadwrights and daily driver at 35-36psi 3K miles so far so good

Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

32" is 32" either way you look at it.....its the height that causes rubbing on the trailing arms...not so much the width...you will rub with 235's as well..just not as soon as 265's

Rolling resistance..there is not much weight difference between 235 or 265 to make a difference in these rides. i still get the same 13.5-14 mpg as i did with the factory wheels/tires
Gotcha. So I should get my kit in Monday, and hopefully install sometime shortly after. I will take before/after measurements...but either way, it sounds like if I were to go with 32"s I need to make a few adjustments regardless of how much height I gain over stock.

Which would be...? Camel cut and adjust bump stops? Sounds like fun.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever it is, keep us posted. Because I'm not far behind you!

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Winching

No camel cut required, just trim a 1/2" here and there as needed and it won't even show. 235s will require less trimming if any. I still occasionally snag my 265s so I would say I should probably trim, but I'm holding off for now since I plan to swap them out soon.

No bump stop adjustment required, the wheel wells are tall enough inside to completely stuff a 32" tire.

Steering stops, yes. Sounds like you'll probably need to adjust them even with a 235, but I would say not nearly as much as with a 265. My 265s rub badly on the radius arms if I let them, so I don't let them. Eventually I'll do those stops, but again I'm holding out for the 235s.

If you want a large-diameter tire that will never, ever rub, 215/85-R16. 31" height and you could probably even run them stock. Looks proportionate to the lift as well (see attached). Treadwright has them in Axiom and Crawler.

Speaking of which, why do you need A/T tires? Why not muds? A/Ts do fine everywhere but mud, but with your open diffs an aggressive tread is sometimes better. My last trip, which was meant as a basic trail ride, I ended up going through 2' deep water, mud, slush, and snow, and I am sure glad I had my mud terrains on or I wouldn't have made it through. In fact I have practically never had an off-road situation that made me wish I didn't have muds (except maybe when they start throwing gravel and my truck, lol). It sounds to me like you are only doing 20/miles per week on pavement, and are concerned about off-road performance, why limit yourself to A/T? A 31" mud will outperform a 32" A/T in terms of traction, and you can quit worrying about rubbing. I love the look of 32s, but unless you are doing rocks/deep ruts differential clearance may be adequate with 31s.

(LOL I'm not meaning to flip-flop, but I've been thinking about how you use your rig. And if you are concerned about rubbing, go with a narrow 31. I think 245s would be fine, but again it's buying more tire to accomplish the same task...)

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-11-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Winching

I have camel cut, rolled fenders and steering stops.

Treadwright 265 measure actual 32.2 inches with 36 psi on the ground. So its a true 32"

I have zero regrets from 265's and on average I wheel my land rover more than anyone else. At least once a week.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Winching

LOL once a week...

Pansy.

Edit, I hope you took my joke well. Once a week is not bad. However if I were going to even consider a camel cut I'd go for at least a 33" tire. 32s will get you plenty far and certainly don't require a full camel cut. Tire size is the one time I envy my friend's Landcruiser, he has 255/85s on stock suspension, and could fit larger.

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 05-11-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Never enough tire threads...when you're the one shopping.