Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Never trust the Big O team. Caution! Longggg read

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Never trust the Big O team. Caution! Longggg read

Ok guys here's my fun little story about big o right off bowles and kipling.

I had a front driver side wheel bearing going out and I didn't have time to wait for the seal and bearings to do it myself so I decided I'd let the big O team replace them. So I drop it off on September 13 and I specify exactly what I know is wrong and what I'd like replaced, just the wheel bearings. So he says okay we will look at it and give you a call. So two hours later I get a call from the service manager Will suave saying both left and right wheel bearings are bad, I just replaced the passenger side ones probably a month ago, the play he saw was from the spindle. So I said just replace the driver side until I can afford to replace the spindle and other bearings. He priced me at 275.99 for the job, I gave them the go ahead and the wait began. Three hours later I get another call from the service manager, Apperently I needed a new spindle so I asked how much it would be and he gave me a whooping quote of 579.99 for just the spindle. Sorry i can't afford that, well he can't/ won't use the spindle how it is and he won't sand the burnt bearing fragment off so it was either I get a new spindle or nothing... Hmmm great.

So I called him back an hour later after doing a little research and let him know i found a spindle on rover parts for 99.99$ he said he can't order it and can only use the land rover spindle that is almost 600$ I simply told him I will not be buying that part and that he needed to have the car ready for tow for the AM so I called Denver west towing and he said he could meet me down there at 9am, cool sounds good. Morning comes and mr will calls again, he can't put the wheel back on because it wouldn't have a bearing to sit on. So i called the towing company and he said he could manuver a flatbed and pick it up. So plans went forward. I arrived at 9am to a tow truck driver sitting down on the flatbed and my rover in the shop with all four wheels off, tow truck driver can't do it because it is too dangerous and could ruin my front end, awesome still charged 70 for a service call. So finally the service manager says he can keep the rover in until I get the spindle. So I overnight the spindle and it arrrives on Tuesday because I ordered it too late Friday and Monday was the holiday. So I get the spindle to them on Tuesday and tell them i need it ready by tomorrow and he says okay we will start on it today, around 7pm they call because they realized they didn't order the inner bearing or the grease seal because they never took the assembly off completely, so I told them I'd pick up everything he needed from land rover tomorrow morning. Ok so Wednesday morning i go to land rover in aurora and pick up the special land rover grease and gasket kit and find out they dont have the seal, the land rover on county line does! Awesome so i go there and get the rest of the parts so I drop off the parts and they say it will be ready by 11. Nicely i said take your time il be back at noon. Noon comes around and they call me and say they are still putting it together and need till 1 okay fine so 1 comes around and same story so I tell them i'm coming down there. Get down there to see watch will, the service manager attempt to put on this spindle 8 times from the rotor on to the whole hub off. Finally a lower class monkey comes out and says the spindle I have is to short and won't work... Are you kidding?! Land rover themselves said it was the right spindle they even pressed the inner bearing in for my for free!

So they tell me I need to have the axle nut shaved down to fit my new spindle and they won't do that. Great no car for the weekend. So Saturday comes around and I'm fed up so I go to my dad who has been a mechanic for 30 years but has been out of work for a while. I show him the spindle and his resolution to the problem is amazing. Turns out will, even after given all new parts to replace the driver side front assembly tried to put on the outer bearing on the spindle and then try to put on an old inner race of an outer bearing right after the new outer bearing and then grease it and pound it into the new bearing. My dad was pissed and so was I. We get our haul A** to big O and let them have a piece of our mind. Luckily Will was there and my dad was like, your the guy who worked on the land rover correct? And will says yes sir, okay so let me ask you something, will replys what can I do for ya? So my dad takes out the old spindle and the new spindle and says what looks wrong here? Will looks for a good 2 minutes and finally my dad points at the new spindle right where the old race was and says do you really think that belongs here? Will at that point realizes exactly how bad he messed up and admits it. Finally They put it back together the next day.

So I call big O corporate and I end up paying nothing to big O and actually end up receiving 300 dollars from big O for the towing bill, overnighting the spindle and half the parts they destroyed. Still not enough for the time and money spent

Sorry for the big read but it's worth it, do not trust the big O team!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

What I want to know: WHY didn't you call me? I am a tech. My house is a couple of blocks from that Big O. I would not have charged you anything to do this as I am getting ready to service my bearings and would have loved to help you out.

I know live and learn, next time call me first.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Where are you located?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Kipling and Bowles, you can stand on my deck and see the shop he took it to.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Facepalm!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be surfin' too much **** lately, what is "big O"?

Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Big O tires.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im with Kenk. we don't have Big O out here.. i guessed it was some sort of mechanic shop.

Last edited by hilltoppersx; 09-30-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, I thought he was being nice and abreviating it or something. A store that is called Big O? That is funny. At first I thought maybe O'Rileys, but they just sell parts.

Second facepalm in this thread.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle

They are primarily a Tire shop. I personally would rather carve tires out of wood than to trust those idiots. Then again. I am a tech so.. meh..

Quick Reply: Never trust the Big O team. Caution! Longggg read