Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Never trust the Big O team. Caution! Longggg read

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like the primary problem was you trusted an unqualified Tire Shop to do the repair. Either they did not really know what they were doing or did not care enough to say hey, we never done one of these before.

Based on the differences between our Disco's and the "average" car or truck I do NOT trust just any yahoo to wrench on mine.

Good thing their Corporate folks came to bat for you. Could have been a much worse hassle. Did they usse the correct lug wrench on your lugs.

When you said they had it up with all four wheels off, sounds like they were being confrontational like they did not want it removed. How wierd.

Also you said they would not sand the burnt bearing fragment off, how quickly did it go from working to welded. Takes a lot of heat to melt one like that. Did you drive very far with it screaming at you? Did it spit fire and belch smoke or just come to a sudden stop?

Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I just wanted to make sure you weren't from anywhere close to where I live before I potentially badmouthed any repair shop. (I have learned to first learn who knows who before saying things)

Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the big o by me is probably just as bad, when i was in high school i took it in for an oil change, left and it was smoking a bit, they said they spilt oil it'll clear up. dumb *** put on the wrong oil filter cuz it looked like it'd work, i bitched em out and they changed it and it stopped. after that i learned how to do it myself, so next change, i pull off the filter they put on, look at the part number and it was still just good enough to work. needless to say all my cars go anywhere now days is for is tires and alignment.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tire shops are what they say, TIRE SHOPS. I don't care how much they claim they can do, they are still tire shops, not repair shops. And the garbage ASE certs hanging on the wall mean nothing. Anyone can study and take a test, but a real mechanic can do the job right the first time. Never trust a tire shop for anything, not even tires. Do your own research and tell them what you want. As for repairs, ask around and get a good shop to do the work, or better yet, learn to do it yourself.