Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Champion Plugs Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I ran the Seafoam about three weeks ago, just used the hose that goes from valve cover oil separator to plenum. Killed lots of skeeters. Seems to run smother. Found two exhaust leaks.....

Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're wanting to give BG products a try I've found that a lot of my local Shell gas stations that have repair shops carry BG stuff inside. The 44k is about 4 times the price of a can of Seafoam but once you use it you'll know why. I like Seafoam but doing an "induction cleaning" with it in the manner most folks use (just pouring it in an open vacuum port while running) misses a lot of the funk that's built up and can do more harm than good in a lot of cases. To much of that stuff at once can kill your MAF and it likes to play games with your 02 sensors as well. 44k in the gas tank is usually enough to clean out most of the crap in the fuel system, if you do wish to do an induction cleaning I'd recommend getting it done with BG products at a place who has the induction cleaning system. You can buy the BG tool yourself as well but its pricey. Most places around here charge $99 for the BG induction service and if they screw anything up its on them instead of you.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats the kind of input I was looking for, thanks all of you.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

think so? now I'm totally confused on the seafoam and I have two cans in the workshop.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Slanginsanjuan -

You don't have enough cans. One in oil, one in gas, and third suck in to intake via hose from valve cover. While at it, spray some carb cleaner or such down the oil seperator in the valve cover.

BTW your frame will look like this if you don't take care to wash it off after impressing everyone on the beach. And wifey will knock those wreckless eyeballs outa your head, so watch where you are driving, not the tan lines of the beach creatures.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/at...framerust2-jpg

Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Baja

I saw one thread from someone who takes his old oil and puts it in one of those hand pump sprayers like you use for spraying the lawn. He sprays the entire underside with the oil to coat all the steel and help prevent oxidation.

When I worked in Defense Industry, the spare parts on some contracts were basically oiled really well, wrapped and sealed, with that level of preservation, they could be on the shelf for many many years and never rust. In a heavy salt environment like the beach, that may be worth doing.

I have been using that method of cleaning up old tools and such I have found, works well om steel or iron.

I been pouring Seafoam in the crankcase and gas tank, but reluctant to suck it in the intake. The 44K or professional 44K induction cleaning may be the way to go, but for now, I am proceeding one step at a time with the plug wires next. They should be here next week.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 10-30-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

I'm kind of feeble minded on this... how does Seafoam sucked in through vacuum port into the intake while truck is running make it back up stream against all that air flow through the throttle valve butteryfly and down the corrugated rubber intake tube to the MAF? I thought most of the gunk on the MAF itself was oil from the rag style cone filters or leaky air box (where did that O ring go to?) or bad air filters. Seems like whichever premium snake oil you prefer in the gas tank would clean inside of cylinder head and exhaust valves and fuel pump, fuel lines and rail, and injectors. But cleaning the intake side of intake valves - this may be more of a problem depending on the injector spray pattern, etc. Induction cleaning may get a larger area inside the plenum, as it is a practice that is designed to "fog" and soak the walls of the chamber and tops of valves. All those additives in gasoline don't come in contact with the the entire surface of the plenum, because the ECU times each squirt when it will be sucked into the cylinder. Some must be trapped above the valve, and have potential to form varnish, as any evaporating gasoline will do. The use of solvent cleaners at greater strength may indeed clean off some of this gunk if to stiff for the additives already in the gasoline. Now in a older carb set up, or the throttle body injection used on some vehicles, sure, a can in the tank will clean more things, because the chemical is induced at the entry of the intake plenum, instead of the very end. All that aside, use of premium good brand gas will reduce this to a non-issue. Induction cleaning might be good for dealing with the effects of a previous owner who ran regular gas (he also skipped oil changes, diff service, and more). But you would not need it every year, etc.

Now since SeaFoam was "invented" back in the dark ages, like the 1930's, it may well have some impact on cats, but their web site say it does not. It is basically Naptha (moth ***** are a crystal version of that), Isopropyl Alcohol, and very thin "use once" process oil (pale oil). The naptha and the alcohol do the work, the pale oil is basically the transport function.

BG 44 is mostly mineral spirits and what you would call "deodorized kerosene" . Excerpt from MSDS for their CAS number by Shell oil:

Fuel for use in domestic and commercial heating and lighting equipment. Please refer to Ch16 for the registered uses under

This product must not be used in applications other than those recommended in Section 1, without first seeking the advice of the supplier. This product is not to be used as a solvent or cleaning agent; for lighting or brightening fires; as a skin cleanser.

So basically SeaFoam and BG 44 are solvent based cleaners, and people have been using solvents to clean grease and gunk for a long time. How much, and how often, and what happens to the gunk once liquified is always a question. Just like spraying brake cleaner on a grease spot on your engine, the grease will be removed, but where did it go?

BTW, in the real Dark Ages, a fellow could have his neck stretched for promising the King he could turn lead in gold (obviously he did not have an adequate intellectual property and patents attorney).

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 10-31-2011 at 04:10 AM. Reason: major error in original rant
Old 10-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Baja

Maybe just mist a little kerosene or mineral spirits in it now and then?

I have an old bottle of Pimm's Whiskey I found that is almost full. I been saving it to clean something with.

The butterfly in my throttle body is clean. I would like to find a small fiber optic camera like one of those inspection boroscopes that I could run in there and take a peek to see what the internals look like.

Any of you guys done that yet? A visual exam would show a lot before opening it up.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Harbor freight has those slim cameras on sale. But you won't be able to get beyond the intake ram stacks unless you pull that cover that has the engine size cast in place. See exploded diagram attached.

Problem is where to induce it without causing issues for MAF - guess you could put in a garden sprayer and psh the nozzle past the buttery fly plate.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
plenum.pdf (755.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have you read all the details on Valvolines warranty Danny?

Quick Reply: New Champion Plugs Today