New cylinder sleeves by local Shop...My story - Page 2 - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 PM

I don't know if I'd say "....maybe you ruin your otherwise new engine." A wee bit overly dramatic. The used cover is probably no worse on average than any other Rover of the same vintage chugging down the road. I would measure the used one and maybe suggest a new gear rotor and oil seal. As of my post the cover from Rovers North is $607.52 which doesn't include the gear rotor or oil seal. (Kinda up there for a Rover part.) https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=ERR6438&type=0&eq=&key=it I'd bet I could get a machinist to mill a used cover (face, cover plate, cover plate mount surface) to spec (less than 4 thou) for a Franklin and an IPA six pack. I can't think of any of my pals not accepting that talent challenge. (The wear spec is .004 in. maximum, that is right out of the Rave for the 4.0. As long as the you have a machinist block you measure from the pump cover surface to the rotor laying flat against face. Gear rotor wear (inner tooth to outer ring cut) is no more than .01 in.)

Last edited by ihscouts; 08-04-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack577 View Post
This^

All those new parts, and $ spent.
Putting a used cover on makes no sense at all.
There is no wear/thickness spec on the cover, so you have no idea what you're getting. The oil pump gears wear against the aluminum cover, resulting in low oil pressure.
So you're risking low to no oil pressure on a $3k rebuild, over a $400 part. I get the budget and cost thing, but a used timing cover is Not where to cut corners.
Maybe you get lucky...maybe you ruin your otherwise new engine.
Good luck with it either way.
I understand what your saying but I haven't been able to find a NEW timing cover for my engine from anybody. There is a ton available for the disco II but not the GEMS engine unless someone can point me in the right direction. The oil pressure loss I was having was definitely caused by the bearings, rocker arms, lifters, cam bearings, cam and all sorts of other parts that had 190K miles on them with no frequent oil changes and such. There is a spec and I didn't measure wither one of my timing covers. The one I pulled off of a picknpull car was much cleaner looking and had much smother surfaces. So I basically just stuck my thumb out, eye balled it and paid the $30 for it. I guess I will go measure the spec... sheesh.

Last edited by Crunkgringo; 08-09-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
I don't know if I'd say "....maybe you ruin your otherwise new engine." A wee bit overly dramatic. The used cover is probably no worse on average than any other Rover of the same vintage chugging down the road. I would measure the used one and maybe suggest a new gear rotor and oil seal. As of my post the cover from Rovers North is $607.52 which doesn't include the gear rotor or oil seal. (Kinda up there for a Rover part.) https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=ERR6438&type=0&eq=&key=it I'd bet I could get a machinist to mill a used cover (face, cover plate, cover plate mount surface) to spec (less than 4 thou) for a Franklin and an IPA six pack. I can't think of any of my pals not accepting that talent challenge. (The wear spec is .004 in. maximum, that is right out of the Rave for the 4.0. As long as the you have a machinist block you measure from the pump cover surface to the rotor laying flat against face. Gear rotor wear (inner tooth to outer ring cut) is no more than .01 in.)
That part doesn't look like its for my GEMS motor. The one in that diagram with the oil filter pointed down at a 45 degree angle is my cover. I haven't been able to find them anywhere. I would like to be corrected if I am wrong. Of course I did replace the oil pump and front crank seal. I think the list is shorter for the things I did not replace. Right now I am still waiting for Main bearings 10 over to come. I am hoping that fiasco will be over soon. I started a new post on that madness a week or so ago entitled main bearing trouble.

Last edited by Crunkgringo; 08-11-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:06 PM

I have measured the timing cover and it is within spec. In fact I was surprised that it is so good. My feeler gauges only go down to 0.004 and I could not fit it under my straight edge. And the oil pump is new so no worries about gear teeth spacing. Now if only I could get those +10 main bearings...
Old 08-10-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihscouts View Post
I don't know if I'd say "....maybe you ruin your otherwise new engine." A wee bit overly dramatic. The used cover is probably no worse on average than any other Rover of the same vintage chugging down the road. I would measure the used one and maybe suggest a new gear rotor and oil seal. As of my post the cover from Rovers North is $607.52 which doesn't include the gear rotor or oil seal. (Kinda up there for a Rover part.) https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductD...e=0&eq=&key=it I'd bet I could get a machinist to mill a used cover (face, cover plate, cover plate mount surface) to spec (less than 4 thou) for a Franklin and an IPA six pack. I can't think of any of my pals not accepting that talent challenge. (The wear spec is .004 in. maximum, that is right out of the Rave for the 4.0. As long as the you have a machinist block you measure from the pump cover surface to the rotor laying flat against face. Gear rotor wear (inner tooth to outer ring cut) is no more than .01 in.)
I disagree.
You're saying a used one is "no worse" than others....yet the rest of the engine is newly rebuilt.
That you could have yours milled to spec.
Well, if the pump gears are ok, why would you have it milled to begin with? And even with new gears, they are flat and hardened, and should wear the cover surface down evenly.
So if in spec, why open the gap more, even if still in spec after? As well as, say it had.002" clearance to start, and it's milled to .003-.004", now it'll wear out of spec even faster...and cause low oil pressure....on an otherwise rebuilt engine.
Dramatic? No. Good sense? Yes.
Not the place to cut corners.
To each their own.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:27 AM

Again, I hear what your saying 6pack but since the covers aren't available and "machining" the cover would mean either filling in the cover where the pump goes with aluminum then milling it to spec or milling a whole new steel pump cover with a recess into the pump recess/void of say 0.001-2 then my options are limited. My junkyard cover is in spec with a new oil pump and front crank seal so it will not be the weakest link in this motor or a problem. I will have an electronic oil pressure gauge installed so that oil pressure will be monitored with actual values in real time.

IHSscouts I have the extra cover if you got a name of one of those buddies who are interested in the challenge... I would love to have a super smooth new timing cover and heaven knows there is a market for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crunkgringo For This Useful Post:
Sixpack577 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 07:48 PM

When you have a minute call Mark at D&D - http://aluminumv8.com/Home/Contact