Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010 | 05:59 PM
|
8th Gear
Exclamation New Engine?

Okay guys,

I have a 97 Disco, in the past couple months it has developed some engines problems. And my mechanic advised me to sell it and cut my losses, because he said it was going to cost me upwards of $1500 for him to do "exploratory surgery" to find out what's wrong, not to mention fixing it. Needless to say I was in no way inclined to sell it. I love my Disco and have spent too much money to sell it now. I was wanting to know if anyone knew of any conversion kits for GM engines. I just want an engine that will be more familiar with my mechanic and that would be more affordable to repair, should the occasion arise. I would really appreciate some help. I am leaving for college here in a couples weeks and would like to have the Rover ready to go.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2010 | 06:27 PM
TReK

What kind of engine problems are you having? Let's try to figure out what's wrong before you thinking about swapping engines and spending more than the truck is worth to do so.

Old 08-12-2010 | 09:25 PM
Team Owner

I agree with AK, lets start talking problems.
GM engines are not all that great anyway, they dont last much past 150k anymore.

Old 08-12-2010 | 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by AK Rover
...and spending more than the truck is worth...
When were our trucks worth more than $35 and a bag of Cheetos?

I keed I keed

Old 08-13-2010 | 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle

If all your mechanic is doing is giving you vague generalities, you may need to get a new mechanic that can give you specifics. Shouldn't need to tear down the engine to figure out what's wrong with it, except in rare circumstances. First off, like the other guys suggested, describe the problems you are having. Some great knowledge here.

Secondly, changing to a GM engine would almost surely cost a lot more than fixing what you already have and may not be anymore reliable after you hack the wiring all apart and modify mounts/brackets to make it fit and work. Thirdly, tell your mechanic that it IS a GM engine. It's the same engine that GM put in countless Buicks and Olds in the early 60's. Rover bought it from GM, made a bunch of iimprovements over the years. But it's the same basic GM small block, designed right there in Dearborn MI. If your mechanic knew his stuff, he'd know that ...or figure it out by looking at it or any research into it. So, there, you just saved yourself a boatload of money converting it over to a GM engine.

I don't know your mechanic but it sounds to me like your mechanic is not comfortable with electronic controls and a wide range of engines. The fact is, it's OBD standard (computer/emission type) translates across manufacturer and makes that are OBD compliant (yours is). Any mechanic that would suggest replacing the engine to one that he 'understands' is more of a shade-tree dude IMO. If that's the case, I think you should start looking for a different guy that understands your vehicle and modern electronic controls.

Last edited by Mark G; 08-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2010 | 11:42 AM
TReK

I'm sure when this "mechanic" suggested swapping to a GM engine he was referring to a 350 V8 since apparently that's the only V8 in the world. Or maybe the world just revolves around the 350, I can never keep it straight.

Seriously though Prevention, when maintained these are good, reliable engines. Even with a leaking water pump and head gaskets starting to fail my 97 survived 2 days stuck in a blizzard and the 500 mile drive home once the roads opened. There is no reason to swap the engine with something else until you know for sure what's going on with the current engine. And any swap for something with more power could cause a lot more problems in the form of exploding differentials. The transmission and t-case will take the power but the spider gears won't like it at all. Unless you're planning on upgrading your drivetrain too you far better to stick with the current engine or an exact replacement.

Old 08-13-2010 | 12:28 PM
Winching

I'm with these guys. Wait and see what is actually going on before you just start dropping big money to get a new engine. Any swap besides a LR V8 or 200 or 300tdi (LR diesel engines) is going to be a nightmare to get to work right. It can be done (I saw a chevy 350 crate motor swap into a DI once before) but the guy said it came in around 12,000 I think by the time he got everything taken care of.

Old 08-13-2010 | 12:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I would sooner see it grenade and swap in a used one from one of the many of these being parted out, like for like. I recently saw on craigslist a complete motor/tranny/diff for $400. I almost bought it just to throw in a corner of my garage.

Find a reputable LR mechanic and see what it would cost to either fix or drop in a known good used engine. Probably come in around $1000 swapped.

Old 08-13-2010 | 01:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Where do you live?

I just dissasembled my engine and find it very fun. You already decided you aren't going to sell it, so figure out the problem and then take the thing apart. even if you are going to swap in a new engine what do you have to loose?

Old 08-13-2010 | 03:06 PM

i think you should ask the mechanic to swap his brain out for a brain from a mechanic that knows something about automobile engines. it will be more effective for future customers who are stuck dealing with him and will save his business in the long run....

in all seriousness do you have a check engine light on? is it making any particular noises or sounds? is it stalling? explain what the problems you have are so we can help you. and another thing, where are you located? there might be someone close that is more qualified to help you than your current neanderthal

Quick Reply: New Engine?