Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New expansion tank busted already?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

$329, but out of stock until September.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell

Isn't that beautiful? Call dap-inc and ask for part # BA2324.
What!?!?!.....I could not find it on their site! If this new one blows, this might not be the next replacement!

Construction like this should be in the range of $175.....not over $300...that is mad.

Originally Posted by dragonhead
Man, I know that sometimes it's about the cost, but when it comes to my engine, I had to go with the genuine part. I blew my expansion tank at the seams too. It sucks.
From calling around yesterday, my normal shops were all sold out. I need one for this weekend trip, so I just bought another new AllMakes one...oh well...

Also, the OEM caps are all sold out too....AllMakes....again.

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
I have a genuine replacement a couple years old from Rovers North if you're still looking
A day late.....oh well....thanks dude.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
When you consider that "if" more than 15 PSI was involved (and cap failed), coolant temp would have been as high as 265 F (50:50 coolant); so perhaps an exhaust gas in coolant test would be an idea as well.
Just in case, I am having the test done on Friday.

From recollection, the evening before this issue, the cap backed is self off a few turns (this is why I think the cap failed). I topped of the bottle, then tightened down the cap. I do use 75% distilled water, so that could contribute to the continual high pressure in the system, since water has a lower the boiling point than coolant and WaterWetter....especially with it is over 100+ degrees out there...

With a bad cap and high pressure.....bang goes the cheap tank....

Serously, the Disco doesn't over heat after long use. Normally, with gas passing though the system....it will push out the coolant and over heat. Trust me, I know.... That definitely didn't happen to my wife..and my wife likes to keep the Disco idling while waiting inline at Sonics drive up window...with the front and rear A/C blasting....

Last edited by wheelgarage; 07-12-2012 at 11:31 AM.