Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Guy and his Disco 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Guy and his Disco 1

Hey Guys

A long time LR Fan finally purchased a '98 Disco LE, one that I've grown up with the past 11 years, my Mothers . Its pushed, pulled, hauled, and safely taken us through any weather condition Illinois has thrown at us. I have plans for it, but for now I want to make sure that this now family heir loom like rig has everything checked out.
Which brings me to my question. The diff lock, its been used twice since we've owned it, and it sits currently at 103,000 miles. What should I do to make sure it performs properly if used (which I'm sure I'll be using it in time.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm very excited to be a Land Rover owner, as next week the LR and I travel to Eminence MO to stay at a friends cabin with a very long hilly dirt road in the final stretch to the destination.
I have many plans for this truck, I want to make into a Adventure & Recovery Vehicle (my friends always always get stuck some where and some how in winter here). My dream is to adventure with it in Telluride CO on all their amazing trails. Thanks Guys!

Old 11-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Welcome! Check out the sticky on high mileage maint items. As you have known the vehicle for a long time you may be able to skip some of it assuming it's had a good maint along the way.

Are you having a problem with the Diff Lock?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM
4wd Low

I'll def. check out that sticky! I talked to my Mother and my Father had tried to use it a 3rd time but he said it became very difficult to move, like it was getting stuck.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Will need penetrating oil and some grease, but since seldom used unlikely that it is bent, etc.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They do tend to "freeze up" if not used on a regular basis. Most of the time it is accumulated crud/corrosion in the pivot points of the linkage. The bad thing is that you have to pull the console out of the vehicle to properly gain any access to that linkage. After the console is removed, then you have to drill out the factory rivets that hold that rubber boot in place. Sit it aside for reistallation using a pop rivet gun.

This thread on the RN site explains it all.
Diff Lock stuck - Rovers North BBS Forums

If you look at the attached thread pay particular attention to item number 35, the diff lock selector plate. Movement of the shift lever toward the driver's seat rotates this plate CCW to mechanically engage the locking yoke inside the transfer case.

Mine was completely frozen when I bought my 97. I went completely thru the entire asssembly to get mine working again. Grease it up good and use it on a regular basis to keep it functional.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:50 PM

You are the first one I have heard of who bought his Discovery from his Mother, you should be very familar with it!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:51 PM
4wd Low

Haha, I was wondering if anyone else had owned one that was in their family for some time. I originally wanted a RR Classic, but when the Disco was going to be put up for sale, I couldn't resist. I know it like the back of my hand

Old 11-11-2011, 04:38 PM

Just one observation, I assume you are fully aware of how the CDL shifter is supposed to work. If it is working correctly, you should be able to move it toward the driver's seat to Lock the Center Diff in both High or Low gear setting and regardless of speed as long as the tires are NOT spinning freely. Move back toward the passenger's seat to UNLOCK, again regardless of speed or gear range.

To shift from High to Low or Low to High, Transmission MUST BE in nuetral and either stopped or rolling less than 5MPH. Some people report that it is easier to shift when rolling. If it is properly functioning that should not matter. It will not allow shifting while in gear unless someone removed the safety interlock provided by the factory.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-13-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations Wolfy! Can't believe your mom charged you for it though.
I gave my son a 95 Disco as his first car. Moved him into a 96 Range
then traded him my 99 Range w/ 60,000 miles on it.
I guess he's spoiled...

Old 11-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
Congratulations Wolfy! Can't believe your mom charged you for it though.
I gave my son a 95 Disco as his first car. Moved him into a 96 Range
then traded him my 99 Range w/ 60,000 miles on it.
I guess he's spoiled...

Can I have your GTO, even though it is the first one I have heard of with a Chevy motor in it, what's up with that?

Quick Reply: New Guy and his Disco 1