Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New lift, now, impossible to drive...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:31 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New lift, now, impossible to drive...

Hi!

A few weeks ago, I upgraded the suspension on my Discovery.

I finally had a chance to drive the vehicle, and I have to admit, it was slightly terrifying.

I understand that this isn't a "car", and I understand how a lift alters a vehicle, I have driven other lifted Rovers and never felt anything like this...

I really don't know how to describe it, except to say...the vehicle swerves back and forth horribly, and you really don't want to drive over 45 MPH, because if you do, you are constantly on the verge of loosing control.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Caleb

Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalev
Hi!

A few weeks ago, I upgraded the suspension on my Discovery.

I finally had a chance to drive the vehicle, and I have to admit, it was slightly terrifying.

I understand that this isn't a "car", and I understand how a lift alters a vehicle, I have driven other lifted Rovers and never felt anything like this...

I really don't know how to describe it, except to say...the vehicle swerves back and forth horribly, and you really don't want to drive over 45 MPH, because if you do, you are constantly on the verge of loosing control.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Caleb
How high did you lift? What exactly, did you replace? More info would be helpful.

When I first got mine it had this rather terrifying undulation at highway speed. It was a constant battle to stay centered in my lane, there was no laid back two fingers on the wheel tooling along at 70.

It required constant input from the steering wheel just to maintain some semblance of straight line travel. Bumps didn't create any issues, but any elongated surface irregularities that were more on one side of the truck than the other, ie a dip or roll that effected the passenger or drivers side more would throw me into a panic as I fought to regain control of the truck.

I first went through the steering, replaced all the ball joints and rehabbed the swivels. Tight as a drum but no love. No change in handling characteristics.

I then moved on to bushings - winner winner chicken dinner! Specifically, the culprits were the big panhard rod bushings in front and trailing arm bushings in the rear. These are essentially the same things front and back, where they attach to the frame. They were shrunken and beat up to the point that they were letting the whole front and rear suspension assembly move out of true in response to road conditions, causing my careening issue, kind of like a giant skateboard.

Worth a look anyway.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I second the panhard rod bushings. Better yet pick up an adjustable unit with Poly bushes.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Do a poly bushing kit go medium or firm, rovers north has best kit price I found includes all , I would also be sure the bolts on steering box are tight, check tie rod ends, swivel pre load, and if the rear is squirly
There is that big rear ball joint

Did you remove the sway bars?

Lift size?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bet is on bushings. Panhard bar with shot bushings can do some funky stuff. I have slowly replaced about every bushing on the truck with exception to the A-arm. It's on the list but I can run 70mph with one hand on the wheel and it's fine and I have 3" Rte springs, fox shocks, custom trailing arms, 6* radius arms, and no sways. Just don't expect me to make a sudden, erratic turn for an animal or car that pulls out in front of me.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like it's time for castor corrected bushings or arms to me.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jhmover
Sounds like it's time for castor corrected bushings or arms to me.
x2. "all over the road" screams castor.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Thank you for all of your suggestions!

I replaced the stock suspension with a 2" Terrafirma kit, and left the sway bars attached.

I replaced the ball joints, also looked at the steering in January, and, nothing improved...

I like all of your ideas, so I figure I will start with the bushings on the panhard rod, I found the following two poly bushing options, I just want to make sure I'm buying the correct options...

POLY BUSHING SET RANGE ROVER CLASSIC, DEFENDER 90 & DISCOVERY, PBS1115 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts
Polybush Kit - Front & Rear Suspension (Red/Firm) (9780 Same Fit As Part # SET2-RED) - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British

Are these the correct kits? I'm learning as I go, thank you!

Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes they are correct but those are full bushing kits designed to replace all he bushings. Just pick up a set of Poly's from Justin at lucky8.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Drifting
Cool

Originally Posted by coors
Yes they are correct but those are full bushing kits designed to replace all he bushings. Just pick up a set of Poly's from Justin at lucky8.
Perfect thank you!

Can I ask you one more stupid question?

With the Terrafirma TF202 lift, to correct the caster angle, Terrafirma has a 3 and 6 degree corrected front arms... what do you recommend? 3 or 6?

Quick Reply: New lift, now, impossible to drive...