Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New to me 1998 Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 1998 Discovery

So I pulled the trigger and picked up a 1998 Discovery as a second vehicle. Got a pretty good deal on it and has a few upgrades I liked. I hang out on RennList and quite a bit so if these forums are anything like those please be gentle, LOL.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is a PG forum so we'll be gentle.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome to the fold. Find some time and meander through the 60k service in the sticky

Old 06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the purchase. Be warned your going to have a great love hate relationship with your disco, but its worth it.

As far as this forum, its more on the pg-13 side, sometimes nc-17, but a great group of knowledgeable owners,

Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome.

This group of Rover enthusiasts has been immensely helpful to me since I joined, so I think you'll find it friendly and respectful here. I have performed many major and minor jobs on my '97 that would have seemed daunting without the advice and hand-holding from this group of fine folks.

You'll figure out soon who is the most knowledgeable, and my advice would be to listen closely to what they say because we really all have the same goals: keep our trucks running strong and have fun sharing knowledge.

People here don't always agree, but I have rarely seen it get ugly.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Winching

We'll be gentle as long as you dont ask stupid questions like..what happens if I unplugged the MAF.you know what i mean

Old 06-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought a 97 for a good price back around Thanksgiving. With the help of this forum, and the download of the factory manual I have been able to do everything myself. That included replacing electric seats, radiator, fan clutch, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, brake rotors, caliper, shocks, alternator, belt, various modules, and a fair bit of electrical work, plus all the regular service. Suggest you also save copies of the manual on a USB drive so you can have it with you (great way to waste away your lunch hour at work). Also, a pair of stout ramps will be in order. I have a number of high mile vehicles, Shell 15W40 Rotella conventional oil is good to slowly clean out things, it has about 5 times the cleaning power of "regular" oil. If high miles, and no history to go by, converting to synthetic may not be something you would want to do without more research. When you get around to changing the diff and transfer case oils, plan on dropping the transfer case bottom plate and re-sealing it, and each and every bolt that holds it on. The transfer case is one place where most people have had a reduction in "whine" with synthetic oil. This forum seemed to be tops on good practical advice.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Winching

Disco 1's are stupid easy to work on

Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kamileon
As far as this forum, its more on the pg-13 side, sometimes nc-17, but a great group of knowledgeable owners,

Yes, most on here are nice enough to use lube before a good a$$ reaming

Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thehun
We'll be gentle as long as you dont ask stupid questions like..what happens if I unplugged the MAF.you know what i mean
So....what happens if you unplug the MAF...???

BTW, welcome to the Forum!

Quick Reply: New to me 1998 Discovery