Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New (to me) 1998 Discovery Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Borrow an OBDII code reader and see what codes you can pluck off the ECM. They don't always point directly towards a sensor but sometimes they do. I'm wondering if the MAF or the ECM is kaput.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:55 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemamma1954
does this look like your coil setup?
Attachment 27677

In answer to your question, on some vehicles, two plugs are on the same circuit and both will fire, one will be on compression stroke and the other exhaust stroke, so they seem to be firing more than expected.
Yes, that is the coil setup I have. I checked the orientation again today and it is definitely on point as per the diagram.

I looked at the harmonic balance and do not see a timing mark on it. I poked around on the Internet and didn't see any exterior timing marks mentioned so it looks like I can't really confirm the ignition timing with my timing light.

Ah, that explanation make perfect since since there are 4 coil packs but 8 cylinders. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2015, 12:06 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Borrow an OBDII code reader and see what codes you can pluck off the ECM. They don't always point directly towards a sensor but sometimes they do. I'm wondering if the MAF or the ECM is kaput.
Okay, I "borrowed" a scanner today and hooked it up. Kinda surprised me there were so few codes, but this is what I ended up pulling:

P0307 - Cylinder 7 Misfire
P0300 - Random Misfire
P1316 - ??? "Misfire Causing Excessive Emission" is what I found online
P0125 - Insufficient Coolant Temp for Closed Loop Fuel Control

Would a faulty coolant temperature sensor cause the vehicle to not start...possibly by inducing a very rich uncombustible mixture? I would think it would be able to start/run (poorly) in closed-loop/limp mode.

I also used the reader to try and snag some "live data" while I was cranking. Here are the screenshots from the device:

https://goo.gl/photos/63aWLVCjj3Ex1SGd6

https://goo.gl/photos/C5LDXEbsso62Geg59

https://goo.gl/photos/p5XwzzseFUvLoEvo6

https://goo.gl/photos/AxFvRsk7nTmwmZ9A7

https://goo.gl/photos/RWVXnnrHrNC6jjZHA

I'm not sure if they'll help at all but I thought some of the info might be useful :P

Last edited by JabaThaHut; 10-17-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor - Warm up time fault P0125

"A time to warm-up test will check that the sensor is responding to the rise in engine coolant temperature caused by the engine running. The engine coolant temperature in stall is used to index a map of expected warm-up times. This checks that the engine has gone into closed loop fuelling within a given time, (the engine coolant information is the only sensor it depends upon)."

Normally the ECT will cause poor engine performance, lousy mpg, and failed hot restarts because it fails cold (rich). It can fail hot and then you don't get enough fuel to start in cold temps (lean) but it's not as common. The ECM is supposed to take the IAT temp and work out an average warm temp to keep the engine within spec. They usually fail at it. The ECT is a cheap part to replace and a common one to fail. Up to you if you want to replace it now. It's the one with the square two wire fitting, the one with a round peg single wire next to it is for the dash gauge.

All the codes obviously where placed during the last time the engine ran. None of them are the smoking gun I was hoping for. The misfire codes are picked up by the crank sensor during 200 and 1000 revs of the crank. I just had a discussion about it with another member because like you he had a P1316 as well, yours actually points to the culprit - #7 with the P0307. I've actually run my engine with one injector disconnected so a fault in one cylinder won't stop a Rover motor.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy

What was the reasoning behind changing the injectors to gen III's? Not my first choice for an injector in a Rover. I'd put the old ones back in and give it a whirl once more since you've gone through some of the basic fixes for a non-runner.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by JabaThaHut
Any updates?

Old 12-30-2015, 03:55 AM
Camel Trophy

Probably sold it, no happy dance post.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:43 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Coachgeo
Any updates?
Nothing yet actually. After beating my head and testing/swapping everything that was recommended, I threw out the white flag. There's a local Land Rover specialty shop near me (private garage, not a dealer) that I also spoke with and of course they told me to bring it in. I had it towed there about 2 months ago now and it's been sitting. They're pretty booked/backed up over there and what made it worse was they lost one of their mechanics. It's obviously not my daily driver so I'm patiently waiting for them to be able to fit it in. I'll definitely update when I hear anything!

Old 12-30-2015, 10:44 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Probably sold it, no happy dance post.
No sir, but I hope to have that happy dance post sometime soon 😀

Old 12-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm glad your still in the game! I was counting on the happy dance.......