Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Rover Owner.... Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rover Owner.... Advice??

I recently purchased a 98 Discovery with quiet a few miles on it (120,000)... but runs strong. No noises, and everything works (so far). I'm not sure of this Disco's history, but it's my first LR and I'm kind of curious as to what I got myself into.
I must say, I've been bitten by some kind of Land Rover bug.... this thing is growing on me.
Does anyone have any advice for me? also, come tax time next year I want to put some money into this thing (a few grand most likely). What are some good replacement parts to consider at this milage? I'd rather replace a few things while I have the spare change than wait until it breaks.

Thanks in advance,
-Dusty

Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the full 60,000 mile service, also probably springs and shocks. are you going to be doing any off roading?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said above.....one thing I can tell you..make sure you get a dang hand pump for that gear oil...you will not get gear oil in otherwise....plus it makes the install a breeze. Grease them shafts and u joints as well. dont get the pump at oreilys..it sucks...get the one at autozone...much better

Last edited by thehun; 11-09-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Mudding

Yes sir.... nothing extream, but I have a tendency to push what is, and isnt extream. Ground clearance will be the obvious limiting factor. Plus, my wife and 11 month old son will be passengers, so I want to make sure everything is safe on road trips.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Mudding

What does the 60,000 mile service include? I'm sure this is in the manual, but I'm in my office at the moment. And more importantly, cost?

Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Pro Wrench

it is in the stickys on the forum, its general fluid changes and other wear items. for offroad these trucks are pretty capable stock, but most of us opt for one of the several 2' lifts, due to old tired springs and shocks. a good set of tires goes a long way, anything more than that is really icing on the cake.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench

the 60,000 service is in the d2 section, just make sure you use the right fluids.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Read ALL the sticky's on both the DI and DII pages and keep in mind that these engines tend to blow up around 121,000 miles. ;0

Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think 120K is that many miles, especially for a 98. Also, I haven't heard that the motors have a penchant for blowing up at these miles, unless blowing a headgasket is considered blowing up. Head gasket is something you may end up doing at some point in the not too distant future (those DO need replacing at 120k ish. Mine is still fine at 143k. Put some $ aside for some repairs. Some things are likey to go wrong just do to age, etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Rock Crawling

With Discos prayer helps. No it really doesn't as LR compulsion and fanaticism is more of a devilish thing at least in my case. The more you want to offroad the greater will be your temptation to want/desire to keep adding expensive doohickies to increase your capabilities. Try and figure out where you want to be with your Disco in 2/3 years and then figure you will not be close to where you will want to be offroading then as offroading is a compulsive ever-increasing virus. Seriously try to envision the toughest offroading you might ever want to do and then plan for it now. If I had had any idea 6 years ago when I purchased my 97 Disco what I would be doing now offroad-wise I would have spent my money much differently and not in the unplanned haphazard way I did. Owning these Discos is like being a junkie if you truly like to offroad. BE PREPARED FOR THIS VIRUS/DISEASE !! However and whatever I surely hope you have as well-built and fun of a Disco as I have had. This doesn't mean I haven't had my share of frustrating problems but it has been worth it.

Quick Reply: New Rover Owner.... Advice??