Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Rover Owner.... Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
Those of you who replied with a positive response, thankyou. I think I'm going to have the head gaskets done at tax time for piece of mind, as well as the 60,000 mile service (possibly sooner). ...
-D
My head gasket went at 70K, and I am just now at 76K on my '97 D1 2 years later, so it varies on when it goes. Getting it done is good insurance against it happening at an inconvenient time. When mine went, it was the subtle appearance of coolant on my drip pan that clued me in, not a catastrophic event that left me stranded, so I suppose I was fortunate. It did cost fair amount of change to get it fixed, but I'm happy it's done.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Save your headgaskets for later. Wait until they start leaking and put the $$ in the bank. Change all of your fluids and check everything. Keep in mind, these take ATF in the power steering, not PS fluid.

The CDL just locks the front and rear shafts together. This is done by shifting to the left on the little shifter. Forward in low. Do not drive on dry pavement with the CDl locked. It is for offroad and snow only.

I have almost 200K and she has never left me stranded. The Brake switch broke, but 2 paper clips later, I was going again. I also got lucky and the fuel pump went out in the driveway. But hey, it has 200K on it.... People complain about reliability, but mine has been great. Keep yours serviced....change the fluids now instead of waiting...and you will be pleased.
okdisco has a point here, you may want to wait to do the head gaskets until they really need it (return on your $$ will be greater earning interest until you need to spend it). As I mentioned before, when my gaskets went, they started leaking coolant on the garage floor, but it didn't affect the performance of the vehicle. I had them changed soon after noticing the leak, so when yours start leaking, just get them done ASAP.

I will also echo the sentiment here that reliability of your Rover depends largely on how much you pay attention to service/maintenance. Mine has never left me stranded in the 6+ years I have owned her.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Rock Crawling

I got to investigating where the oil leak my rover has originates from. It's not a bad leak - a drip in a day - but I sourced it to an oil line up front. Or atleast thats what it looks like. Is this pretty common?
Oil cooler line. I have the same issue. Seems to be a common source of leakage.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took off the side step rials last night... so if anyone wants a set, let me know.

I've noticed that the rear susp. sags a bit on the passengers side.... I'm thinkin about a new set of shocks and springs. I dont want any lift. What brand do you recommend for springs. I've owned several bilstein products and am pretty sure I cant go wrong w/ em for shocks.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took off the side step rials last night... so if anyone wants a set, let me know.

I've noticed that the rear susp. sags a bit on the passengers side.... I'm thinkin about a new set of shocks and springs. I dont want any lift. What brand do you recommend for springs. I've owned several bilstein products and am pretty sure I cant go wrong w/ em for shocks.
just curious what you want for your side rails? If I was to take them I would come out to you to get them.

I really don't want to put any on but my 6 year old daughter has trouble getting in the truck!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ripped one side step off on the trail on my first time out. Ripped the other off with my bare hands when I got home. Those little square tubes rust really bad.

The rear springs do sag really bad with age. I put the heavy duty OME's on mine because a buddy had a spare set. Excellent change. Of course they were two inch lift, so I went with the ProComp ES9000, which Disco Mike says have had problems, but so far mine have been fine.

Bilsten are very good as well.

I have seen springs in the discount bin on rovers north at times. Usually discounted due to scratches in the paint. Good way to save some bucks.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Mudding

I'll let em go for twenty bucks or so if you take the time to come and get em.... they are actually pretty functunal as far as getting in and out and saving your seats is concerned.
They arent rusted or anything.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
just curious what you want for your side rails? If I was to take them I would come out to you to get them.

I really don't want to put any on but my 6 year old daughter has trouble getting in the truck!

....or hell, I'll take a case of beer for em. Coors light of course.