Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New Rover Owner.... Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Set $100 a month aside for repairs/maintenance and you should be ok. Also have a POS backup vehicle to use when it will breakdown on you and/or to run to the grocery store/work when working on it takes more than a day. Prepare an emergency roadside kit complete with basic tools and test equipment etc. (like a fuel pressure gauge for example). Once you've prepared for the general lack of relialbilty of these vehicles you can then proceed to doing your best to prevent failure. Stay on top of maintenance items and be proactive. Not sure how mechanical you are but download the rave manual as well.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of you who replied with a positive response, thankyou. I think I'm going to have the head gaskets done at tax time for piece of mind, as well as the 60,000 mile service (possibly sooner). I wanna go through the suspension stuff, bushings etc. as well.

This may be a stupid question, but when you guys talk about the CDL, does that mean these are actually locked up (as in all fours spinning), or??? I've owned this thing for three days now, havent had a chance to take it out and find out for myself.

thanks,
-D

Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Save your headgaskets for later. Wait until they start leaking and put the $$ in the bank. Change all of your fluids and check everything. Keep in mind, these take ATF in the power steering, not PS fluid.

The CDL just locks the front and rear shafts together. This is done by shifting to the left on the little shifter. Forward in low. Do not drive on dry pavement with the CDl locked. It is for offroad and snow only.

I have almost 200K and she has never left me stranded. The Brake switch broke, but 2 paper clips later, I was going again. I also got lucky and the fuel pump went out in the driveway. But hey, it has 200K on it.... People complain about reliability, but mine has been great. Keep yours serviced....change the fluids now instead of waiting...and you will be pleased.

Last edited by okdiscoguy; 11-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy jackstands and a good floor lift.

Just don't do a lot of stupid stuff like some people on here who join up and want to know why the transmission no longer works after their wife drove it 30 miles home with it straining and now it just schreeches and won't move in either direction now.......... Gee we haven't heard from him since then have we??????

I have a 97 with 115,000 on it. I had to replace the fuel pump and fuel lines, shocks and springs, brake pads, rotors, rear calipers, exhaust gaskets, muffler, and a few odds and ends. But I enjoy it.

With proper care and attention, you will too. Just have a few grand sitting aside..........................

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 11-15-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Mudding

Thanks again guys.... I've owed a few off road rigs in my day (I'm being modest). From a 94 Jeep XJ w/ lockers front n rear, long arm susp. etc., to an extreamly built propane powered, supercharged suzuki samuri.... and to tell you the truth, I'm sick of over building rigs. I feel like this rover fits my personality better than any other vehicle I've ever owned (in stock form). It'll do (hopefully) as much as I need it to do, so that I can go where planned, and it keeps my wife happy with the luxury these things provide.
It feels good to own a rig thats major finacial burden is general maintanence. Truthfully, maintaning this thing will be FAR cheaper than any of my past endevors which always seem to include tires I cant pick up, and shocks that take a months worth of paychecks to pay for.... i have an 86 Dodge Ramcharger for all of that nonsense ...
It seems as though I'm learning that there are two types of Rover owners. The yuppies, who rely on warrenties and dealerships - whom which I feel Rovers werent designed for... and the adventure seeking Rover owners, who seem to be mechanical, and intelligent.

Glad to have everyones input.... I'm sure I'll need lots more.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Mudding

Heres a pic

Attached Thumbnails New Rover Owner.... Advice??-our-rover.jpg  
Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

she is a beauty congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of rovers, be sure to learn how to hate her just as much as you learn to love her (I consider mine the second wife!) if you want some new center caps for those wheels Atlantic British is a good place. if you need local parts, I don't know what they have out your way but here in Phoenix we have BAP which offers a halfway decent selection of aftermarket and OEM replacement parts for very good prices. Luckily you shouldn't have as much trouble with the exposed parts of the truck like alot of the owners on here that deal with rust issues, at least I have found mine is pretty easy to work under. Well good luck and if you have any electronics issues let me know I may be able to help you out.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Mudding

Make sure you have a complete set of tools, find a local Rover indy shop and use/abuse the forums for help. Someone has BTDT and will help you.
You will have to work on it yourself as much as possible or the repair bills may put you in the poor house. Some go a long time without issue, others, not so much...
I would go over it carefully and be sure all the basics are in good shape and run it! Find a local Rover club and have fun!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezert Rover
It seems as though I'm learning that there are two types of Rover owners. The yuppies, who rely on warrenties and dealerships - whom which I feel Rovers werent designed for... and the adventure seeking Rover owners, who seem to be mechanical, and intelligent.

Glad to have everyones input.... I'm sure I'll need lots more.
This is 100% true.
The big problem that those of us who buy these used run into is that the original owner was a trophy wife who wanted a "safari truck" and just drove it and did nothing else to it.
Then sold it once she was sick of it and wanted something new.
So then we get stuck with the out of date maintenance and repairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLyb9CCWQog

This is the demographic they are meant for.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Land rovers take more maintaince than other vehicles..however it honestly creates a bond like no other vehicle ive ever had..the reason...you KNOW your vehicle inside and out...ive only had my rover for 2 weeks...but im in love...maintaince is fun for me....I was very lucky the PO owner rebuilt the engine so I dont have to worry about water pump/gasket or anything like that for a good while.

Quick Reply: New Rover Owner.... Advice??