Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New user

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user

Morning all! Not a Rover owner but am in the process of looking/buying an 03' Discovery. Is the 03' a 1 or a 2. Whats the difference?

The one I'm looking at has 60K on it, great shape cosmetically and runs like it should, no drips which some of the posts say are common. I'm taking a second look today and want to know what the experienced owners say I should check, look for, test........

I'm an experienced mechanic as many of you are and can maintain most anything and even do a full engine rebuild if needed. Have the tools and know-how just needing a new toy so to speak. Not that I'm looking for a project vehicle, had enough of those. Been through the Jeep models but they lack the character of the Discovery. Don't want new(can't afford) and have always bought used for the challenge of bringing it back to it's former great shape.

So, let me know what you think and if I should stay away from the 2003.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to check on the Discovery II part of the forum ('99 and up are D2s). I have found working on our Disco to be relatively straight forward and easy, more on par with working on older BMWs and Volvos than on GMs or Hondas. The D2 models are more complex electrically than the D1, but mechanically pretty similar. I hear to watch out for the rear air suspension in models so equipped, and it is better if you will be using it off road to find one with the CDL lock, which disappeared for a couple of years during D2 production. Good Luck!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The '03 won't have CDL which is good for trails.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

My friend bought an 03' D2 and it has been nothing but nightmares. It has a 4.6 Bosch and the cooling system has been over pressurized. He blew off a few hoses, cracked a tank, and has a constant waterfall sound. Tge too radiator hose is hard as a rock, and temps on his ultragauge are at 220.

We chased all possible cooling issues and replaced it all.

The final conclusion is that the block has a small crack that is causing coolant to turn to steam pressure.

The big enigma, it has passed the block test performed by 3 different individuals.

I like D2s, but would be scared. Make sure it runs cool and there are no knocking noises. The 4.6 Bosch is notorious for having issues.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:14 PM
7th Gear

Took the second look at the 2003, drove it and here's the issues that stand out. First, it wouldn't shift below drive no matter what you do. Next, the following warning lights are on in the dash panel, ABS (brakes seem to work well), TC (circle around this one), Service engine soon and a symbol of a vehicle pointing down grade. Don't know what that one is. Maybe a grade warning light?

Gotta' say, this Discovery is straight body wise, runs like a champ, drives striaght with no wander even during braking and everything works as far as a button doing what it's supposed to. Interior clean, no rips in the vinyl or headliner, carpets good, all glass good and the power windows/locks operate.

Concerned about the warning lights. Especially ABS. I've had seriously issues with ABS in the past with other vehicles. I can get it for $5500.00. 60,065 miles.

Feedback?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

The ABS, TC, and Hill Decent Control often come on together. They're referred to as the 3 Amigos. Lots of pretty easy and cheap fixes for that. On the D1 the service engine soon light is just a reminder to take the truck to the dealer. What do you mean it wouldn't drop below Drive? When starting from a stop would it shift through the gears normally??
What about the lack of CDL?

Old 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM
7th Gear

Ok on the 3. When I say below drive I mean the shift lever itself would not go to 1,2,3. The trans shifted smoothly under power with no slips or noise.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM
7th Gear

Missed one. what is CDL?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Center differential lock

Locks transfer case so both drive shafts spin same no matter what, off road or super low traction area only snow muddy sand etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 AM
7th Gear

Whats the consensus on purchasing this Discovery II? Run or buy?

Quick Reply: New user